Racism : Isn't This All Going A Bit Too Far ?

100% with you R,  it's not difficult to show good manners and empathy - unless you're a demented weasel and can't control yourself.

One person shouting abuse can set other morons off,  making someone the focus of it isn't acceptable imo

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

If you cannot see that people are told openly, or even just indirectly, that they have a right to be upset about X, Y or Z, even that they should be upset about it because it's really serious, then you must be rather blinkered.

People don't need telling when they should be upset or when it's ok for them to be upset.     If they are grown adults they can,  and will,  decide for themselves  -  Very much like you do.

No one on this forum gets more upset than you do over a myriad of different things and I don't recall you needing telling that you should protest at that.

We are all free to sound off about our pet hates and you are the perfect example so,  if you don't like people being upset,  you'll just have to learn  to  live with it whilst you are boring them.

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That comment (by Buckley or not, it doesn't really matter) sums up so much about this world we live in. Thus it  is relevant in so many different threads and it  will get quoted many more times.

It really does matter.

Have you found a source for your "infamous" quote that sums up so much about this world we live in? Has anybody else on the planet used it? I would have thought such an "infamous" comment would  have attracted a bit more attention than just you.

17 hours ago, altus said:

Is whitesplaining a term? Perhaps gammonsplaining would be a better one.

The acceptance of the phrase "gammon" as an insult has always confused me. People will moan about racism which is barely even there, then use gammon as an insult which is literally mocking someone because of their skin tone.

4 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

The acceptance of the phrase "gammon" as an insult has always confused me. People will moan about racism which is barely even there, then use gammon as an insult which is literally mocking someone because of their skin tone.

There is no such thing as    "racism which is barely even there".

If the written or spoken word is derogatory  to people of a different race or colour,   it is racist and if it isn't,  then that's fine. 

People are not  "nearly" racist",   they either are or they are not.

6 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

Gammon isn't a race?

24 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Isn't it an intended insult regards skin tone?

I embrace being a gammon. Love it.

GLM.

No it's more of a state of mind thing....

Charles Dickens used it in Nicholas Nickleby:

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr Gregsbury's political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

'The meaning of that term--gammon,' said Mr Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I AM proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.'

32 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No it's more of a state of mind thing....

Charles Dickens used it in Nicholas Nickleby:

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr Gregsbury's political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

'The meaning of that term--gammon,' said Mr Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I AM proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.'

See, that's why I embrace it!!

😁

6 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

There is no such thing as    "racism which is barely even there".

If the written or spoken word is derogatory  to people of a different race or colour,   it is racist and if it isn't,  then that's fine. 

People are not  "nearly" racist",   they either are or they are not.

I'm talking on a societal level. Some people make out that racism is rife in this country, when in actual fact there are very few racial incidents.

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

Gammon isn't a race?

Is the N word a race? Ask yourself why gammon is only aimed at white people. It's because it's comparing skin colour to gammon. It's akin to calling a black person a Mars bar.

Edited by Vrsaljko
  • Sad 1