Racism : Isn't This All Going A Bit Too Far ?

4 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

I'm talking on a societal level. Some people make out that racism is rife in this country, when in actual fact there are very few racial incidents.

Is the N word a race? Ask yourself why gammon is only aimed at white people. It's because it's comparing skin colour to gammon. It's akin to calling a black person a Mars bar.

Black people can be gammons if they have the characteristics of a gammon. I think there is a thread on this forum explaining everything.

Edited by Mister M

3 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

I'm talking on a societal level. Some people make out that racism is rife in this country, when in actual fact there are very few racial incidents.

Talk on any level you like.  People are either racist or they are not and your double speak of  "incidents" proves nothing.   Adding to which,  you don't know how many there are anyway.

29 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Give over.

Everyone knows why the term Gammon is used, and you know it.

Not at all. 

During a televised Brexit debate, one of the contributors was so rude - shouting over other contributors about how Brexit would be so beneficial, parochial in the extreme, narrow minded and generally bellicose. Very gammony. His name is Ben Habib, a Pakistani man and former Brexit Party MEP.

Edited by Mister M

58 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Black people can be gammons if they have the characteristics of a gammon. I think there is a thread on this forum explaining everything.

So there must be quite a few instances then of black people being referred to as gammons. Could you provide me with one?

56 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Talk on any level you like.  People are either racist or they are not and your double speak of  "incidents" proves nothing.   Adding to which,  you don't know how many there are anyway.

Good grief, talk about completely missing the point. Where have I said that someone using a racist slur isn't a racist? What I'm saying is that a massive industry has been created around racism and people go looking for it everywhere to keep the agenda rolling on. In actual fact it's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

9 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

What I'm saying is that a massive industry has been created around racism and people go looking for it everywhere to keep the agenda rolling on. In actual fact it's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

Which massive industry ?      The  ones who keep the agenda rolling are the racists.      If there were no racism,  there would be nothing to argue about anyway.

You,  like I,  have no idea how bad the problem is for you to make proper judgement so you are just guessing, which is fine if you don't present it as fact.

7 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I reserve the right to like or dislike anyone irrespective of their race, gender or sexual preference.

Perfectly correct  -  we all follow that example every day of our lives.

Condemning a race, a nation, a group because of one thing in common is still racism though.

Even then,  it can't be totally stopped,  even by law,  because we can't force people how to think. 

7 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Given your previous post, it seems only fair to ask whether you have any evidence for that claim.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk-one-of-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-new-study-suggests-despite-un/

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/29/uk-found-to-be-among-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-18691747/

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/britain-one-of-least-racist-countries-in-europe-121830/

Genuine question. When was the last time you witnessed someone get harassed in public or insulted because of their race? I honestly can't remember seeing it happen, and I go to lots of big events such as football games with lots of different people in attendance.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Which massive industry ?      The  ones who keep the agenda rolling are the racists.      If there were no racism,  there would be nothing to argue about anyway.

You,  like I,  have no idea how bad the problem is for you to make proper judgement so you are just guessing, which is fine if you don't present it as fact.

There are plenty of professions that rely on racism being seen as a huge problem in order to justify their existence. Equality and diversity managers in the NHS and universities for starters. You've also undone your own argument there too. You say we don't know how bad the problem is to make a proper judgement, but if it was that bad we'd all witness it personally in our daily lives.