Racism : Isn't This All Going A Bit Too Far ?

6 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk-one-of-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-new-study-suggests-despite-un/

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/29/uk-found-to-be-among-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-18691747/

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/britain-one-of-least-racist-countries-in-europe-121830/

Genuine question. When was the last time you witnessed someone get harassed in public or insulted because of their race? I honestly can't remember seeing it happen, and I go to lots of big events such as football games with lots of different people in attendance.

There are plenty of professions that rely on racism being seen as a huge problem in order to justify their existence. Equality and diversity managers in the NHS and universities for starters. You've also undone your own argument there too. You say we don't know how bad the problem is to make a proper judgement, but if it was that bad we'd all witness it personally in our daily lives.

They would still be in a job because racism isn't the only way people are differentiated against.

Things still happen or not happen whether we are there to see them or not.

Are you the only one with the all seeing eye ?   

I read the words of racists on this forum every single day so it's still alive and well.

Edited by Organgrinder

6 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk-one-of-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-new-study-suggests-despite-un/

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/29/uk-found-to-be-among-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-18691747/

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/britain-one-of-least-racist-countries-in-europe-121830/

Genuine question. When was the last time you witnessed someone get harassed in public or insulted because of their race? I honestly can't remember seeing it happen, and I go to lots of big events such as football games with lots of different people in attendance.

Thats three links to the same study, btw.

I’d agree that out and out racial abuse is rare these days. But that’s not the real issue. Take a look at employment stats,  household income stats,and crime stats, they’ll show you that there is plenty of prejudice out there still. The crime stats are in post 2 of this thread and they are shocking.

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Things still happen or not happen whether we are there to see them or not.

Are you the only one with the all seeing eye ?  

They do, but if something was so widespread then most of us would be seeing it often in our daily lives. In actul fact we don't.

10 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Thats three links to the same study, btw.

I’d agree that out and out racial abuse is rare these days. But that’s not the real issue. Take a look at employment stats,  household income stats,and crime stats, they’ll show you that there is plenty of prejudice out there still. The crime stats are in post 2 of this thread and they are shocking.

What employment stats are you referring to? From what I can see businesses are falling overthemselves to employ non-white people at the moment, so where are the barriers exactly? I recently resigned from a government department where a career advancement programme was rolled out to staff and it specifically stated that white people couldn't apply. If there are barriers to people progressing in employment then it seems like everyone is affected.

I'm also not sure what crime stats you're referring to. Post 2 that you mention just takes me to Kick It Out which is football related.

Edited by Vrsaljko

9 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I do apologise, try post 31 instead. 

Ah, I see which one you mean.

When you see "100,000 hate crimes" it obviously sounds bad, but you have to consider this is over a year amongst a population of 60 million people in England and Wales. I'd also wager that a lot of these are the non-crime hate incidents that you hear about, where if someone perceives that something happened to them because of race/gender/sexuality etc then it gets recorded, even if what happened to them wasn't to do with that.

Obviously some people are racially discriminated against but I just don't think the UK is as bad as people are making it out to be. We have a non-white leader of the UK, Scotland and London, the UK is always ranked as one of the least racist countries, and non-white people from around the world are moving here in ever greater numbers. Social cohesion is also a lot better than other places in Europe such as France and Sweden etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vrsaljko said:

They do, but if something was so widespread then most of us would be seeing it often in our daily lives. In actul fact we don't.

So you're still saying that if we don't see it,  it isn't happening ?               100,000 hate crimes doesn't sound like it's not happening to me.

Do you think every one gets reported ?

Who has always ranked us as one of the least racist countries,  besides yourself  ?

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

So you're still saying that if we don't see it,  it isn't happening ?               100,000 hate crimes doesn't sound like it's not happening to me.

Do you think every one gets reported ?

Who has always ranked us as one of the least racist countries,  besides yourself  ?

:rolleyes:

It's not only racism that the world is talking about. There is a whole nest of different subjects that are now classed as being a hate crime. "A hate crime is a criminal offence which is motivated by prejudice towards a person’s actual or perceived race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or transgender identity. For example, if someone was physically assaulted for being trans, it would be a hate crime."

Reading the 1000,s of pages of information online and it all now appears to fall into the same bucket. That does not seem right to me as I find racism to be one of the most prolific occurrences, abhorred by the majority, and quite rightly so. However if I'm ever in the position to  converse with a trans man or woman, I would have great difficulty in accepting what they believe they are. That is in no way any form of hatred on my part, but I would find it offensive to ME that I'm expected to accept a man or woman dressed up is a different gender? They may believe they are what they are, however that does not mean that I have to believe it, yet it appears that I should?? 

All that said, I still believe that racism is the true and genuine problem that has been around for ever, but unfortunately the list of possible "ism,s" seems to be growing out in all directions. Are these post millennium "ism,s" taking true and meaningful issues like racism out of the spotlight?

6 minutes ago, Cyclunt said:

It's not only racism that the world is talking about. There is a whole nest of different subjects that are now classed as being a hate crime. "A hate crime is a criminal offence which is motivated by prejudice towards a person’s actual or perceived race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or transgender identity. For example, if someone was physically assaulted for being trans, it would be a hate crime."

Reading the 1000,s of pages of information online and it all now appears to fall into the same bucket. That does not seem right to me as I find racism to be one of the most prolific occurrences, abhorred by the majority, and quite rightly so. However if I'm ever in the position to  converse with a trans man or woman, I would have great difficulty in accepting what they believe they are. That is in no way any form of hatred on my part, but I would find it offensive to ME that I'm expected to accept a man or woman dressed up is a different gender? They may believe they are what they are, however that does not mean that I have to believe it, yet it appears that I should?? 

All that said, I still believe that racism is the true and genuine problem that has been around for ever, but unfortunately the list of possible "ism,s" seems to be growing out in all directions. Are these post millennium "ism,s" taking true and meaningful issues like racism out of the spotlight?

Yes