Racism : Isn't This All Going A Bit Too Far ?

8 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Sorry a..a bit nieve but what's gammons ? I've had gammon and eggs lol but that's as far as it goes ....GammonsπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜€

This is the Wikipedia explanation of gammon being used as an insult.

Β 

GammonΒ is aΒ pejorativeΒ popularised inΒ British political cultureΒ since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a white person'sΒ flushed faceΒ when expressing their strong opinions, as compared toΒ the type of pork of the same name. It is characterised in this context by theΒ Oxford English DictionaryΒ as occurring "in various parasynthetic adjectives referring to particularly reddish or florid complexions".

In 2018, it became particularly known as a term to describe either those on theΒ political rightΒ or those who supportedΒ Brexit.

2 minutes ago, despritdan said:

This is the Wikipedia explanation of gammon being used as an insult.

Β 

GammonΒ is aΒ pejorativeΒ popularised inΒ British political cultureΒ since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a white person'sΒ flushed faceΒ when expressing their strong opinions, as compared toΒ the type of pork of the same name. It is characterised in this context by theΒ Oxford English DictionaryΒ as occurring "in various parasynthetic adjectives referring to particularly reddish or florid complexions".

In 2018, it became particularly known as a term to describe either those on theΒ political rightΒ or those who supportedΒ Brexit.

Blushing 😊 thanks for explaining but it's not a phrase I will ever use ...

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Yep see #54

That's just an anecdote from yourself though where someone was displaying behaviour which you yourself would class as "gammony". The person in question wasn't actually called a gammon. I'm yet to see a black person ever be referred to as a gammon.

Β 

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

So you're still saying that if we don't see it,Β  it isn't happening ?Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 100,000 hate crimes doesn't sound like it's not happening to me.

Do you think every one gets reported ?

Who has alwaysΒ ranked us as one of the least racist countries,Β  besides yourselfΒ  ?

Β 

As I explained in an earlier post, a lot of these are "non-crime hate incidents". If someone was being stared at and they perceived it was because of their race and made a complaint, it would be logged and included in the figures, even though no actual racist incident has taken place.

Β 

Plenty of studies have been done which show the UK is one of the least racist places;

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk-one-of-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-new-study-suggests-despite-un/

Β 

45 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Sorry a..a bit nieve but what's gammons ? I've had gammon and eggs lol but that's as far as it goes ....GammonsπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜€

Β 

It's an insult aimed at white men who have pink/rosy cheeks. Because apparently every middle aged white man voted for Brexit, is homophobic, transphobic and hates foreigners.

6 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

That's just an anecdote from yourself though where someone was displaying behaviour which you yourself would class as "gammony". The person in question wasn't actually called a gammon. I'm yet to see a black person ever be referred to as a gammon.

Β 

As I explained in an earlier post, a lot of these are "non-crime hate incidents". If someone was being stared at and they perceived it was because of their race and made a complaint, it would be logged and included in the figures, even though no actual racist incident has taken place.

Β 

Plenty of studies have been done which show the UK is one of the least racist places;

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk-one-of-the-least-racist-countries-in-the-world-new-study-suggests-despite-un/

Β 

Β 

It's an insult aimed at white men who have pink/rosy cheeks. Because apparently every middle aged white man voted for Brexit, is homophobic, transphobic and hates foreigners.

Not all of us never wanted it in 1st place to be honest ah well life goes on ....

10 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

You’ve just made that up though. That isn’t the same thing as explaining.
Β 

The crime stats are a factual record. Most of the crimes recorded are public order offences , or crimes against the person.

Β 

Β 

7 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

You’ve just made that up though. That isn’t the same thing as explaining.
Β 

The crime stats are a factual record. Most of the crimes recorded are public order offences , or crimes against the person.

Β 

Β 

I just don't believe that there are 100,000 incidents that amount to an actual criminal offence with enough evidence for someone to be charged by the police. Is there anywhere it specifically states that non-crime hate incidents aren't included in these hate incident stats?

Β 

Even if the 100,000 figure is true, there are a lot of countries where this would be exceeded if they had the infrastructure to log everything like the UK does. Putting stats to one side, is it your honest opinion that the UK is a racist country?

3 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

I just don't believe that there are 100,000 incidents that amount to an actual criminal offence with enough evidence for someone to be charged by the police. Is there anywhere it specifically states that non-crime hate incidents aren't included in these hate incident stats?

Β 

Even if the 100,000 figure is true, there are a lot of countries where this would be exceeded if they had the infrastructure to log everything like the UK does. Putting stats to one side, is it your honest opinion that the UK is a racist country?

I don’t think that it matters what you think. Β Your made up opinion is an irrelevance.Β 
Β 

The statistics are a matter of public record. Here they are again, for the avoidance of any doubt.

Β 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2022-to-2023/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2022-to-2023#police-recorded-hate-crime

Edited by Prettytom
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I don’t think that it matters what you think. Β Your made up opinion is an irrelevance.Β 
Β 

The statistics are a matter of public record. Here they are again, for the avoidance of any doubt.

Β 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2022-to-2023/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2022-to-2023#police-recorded-hate-crime

It just seems ridiculous to me that non-crime hate incidents wouldn't be included in figures about hate. There's no chance there's 100,000 racial incidents leading to the police charging someone as well as all the non-crime hate incidents on top.

Β 

I also assume you don't want to answer my last question?