Public Transport Vs. Heart Of The City Ii

15 minutes ago, Resident said:

Pinstone St should never been allowed a permanent closure. Sheffield was lied to. 

SCC stated when it was closed that it was for COVID social distancing. When it came time to reopen as the restrictions and SD were lifted all of a sudden it was never closed for SD, it was closed for Active Travel.

When it was closed the council stated that they were using COVID funding then claimed it was Active Travel funding. So which was it and what happened to the funds from the one it wasnt'? 

SHEFFIELD'S
CRIMINAL

COUNCIL

It pretty much sums up the whole COVID scam. They use fear to get compliance and they sneak in their agendas. 

I too remember that they said they closed Pinstone Street for "social distancing" 🤮. It's worked out to play in to their plans like a glove.

Closing Pinstone Street has been detrimental for bus users coming in from the South West. The 51 now no longer goes near Orchard Square, Fargate or High Street when Eastbound and those wanting to catch the bus back to Bents Green, Totley, Dore have to wait at a shelterless, benchless stop on Arundel Gate.

4 minutes ago, E-Man Groovin said:

Finally, the article was attempting to highlight the unforeseen consequences of prioritising transport to the less well-off areas, rather than saying "all Sheffield public transport is rubbish"!

Absolutely. If you live in Firth Park, you have circa 20 buses an hour in to the city centre and around 10 buses an hour to Meadowhall. The people of Firth Park mostly* can't afford to go to Brown's brasserie and spend £30 a pop on a cocktail or indeed £5,000 on a watch in Breightling in Meadowhall. New bars such as Furnace, Manhatta (not a typo) will be priced towards the affluent end of the spectrum, yet buses from Dore for example, are every 2 hours of an evening and you certainly don't want to be driving a car in to town if you are going to be having cocktails.

39 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

That runs nowhere near the wealthier parts of the city. The tram doesn't serve the South West at all. 

They tried to extend it to Ranmoor, the attitude of the locals was pretty much “I’ve got a BMW/Audi/Range Rover, why would I need a tram?” So it was dropped.

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

They tried to extend it to Ranmoor, the attitude of the locals was pretty much “I’ve got a BMW/Audi/Range Rover, why would I need a tram?” So it was dropped.

Well they originally wanted to run it to Stabbington oops I mean Stannington but the locals there objected to it too, not a case of "look at my Range Rover", more of a case of "Not in my back yard".

20 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Absolutely. If you live in Firth Park, you have circa 20 buses an hour in to the city centre and around 10 buses an hour to Meadowhall. The people of Firth Park mostly* can't afford to go to Brown's brasserie and spend £30 a pop on a cocktail or indeed £5,000 on a watch in Breightling in Meadowhall. New bars such as Furnace, Manhatta (not a typo) will be priced towards the affluent end of the spectrum, yet buses from Dore for example, are every 2 hours of an evening and you certainly don't want to be driving a car in to town if you are going to be having cocktails.

Do you not understand that daytime buses are provided by operators on a commercial basis.

If they thought running more services, or more frequent services would profit them, they’d do it. The reason there are less busses on some routes is that there isn’t enough demand to justify providing more. Simple as that.

By your same logic, if the people of Firth Park  ( I don't know why you have picked on them?) can't afford to go to Brown's or Brightling (again your examples) then maybe they need the buses and can't afford other means of transport. I  suspect the people of Dore, Whirlow etc have a car/ cars and can also afford a taxi (or chauffeur) to get them into the city of an evening and don't have the need for buses. 

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Do you not understand that daytime buses are provided by operators on a commercial basis.

If they thought running more services, or more frequent services would profit them, they’d do it. The reason there are less busses on some routes is that there isn’t enough demand to justify providing more. Simple as that.

I am a retired transport worker. I know how transport companies work. Do you not understand that some services are tendered by public funding? Let me explain, the local authority provided some or all of the funding to run a service to keep communities connected. Simple as that.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Well they originally wanted to run it to Stabbington oops I mean Stannington but the locals there objected to it too, not a case of "look at my Range Rover", more of a case of "Not in my back yard".

Yes indeed, it was the same issue with the proposal to extend out to Rotherham. Staff who were at the public meeting called to discuss it said “you’d have thought we were proposing to murder their kids” the reaction was so bad.

I used to work with someone who was active in the anti tram campaign at Stannington. Years later they regretted it and thought it actually would have been a good thing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

People actually on the proposed routes will think it will have an adverse effect on property values, so are often vitriolic opponents.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

I am a retired transport worker. I know how transport companies work. Do you not understand that some services are tendered by public funding? Let me explain, the local authority provided some or all of the funding to run a service to keep communities connected. Simple as that.

Oh I think I know a bit more about all that than you do, seeing as I used to sit on the boards / committees that discussed subsidised services and directly briefed and advised the councillors who made the decisions.

Level of usage of services is one factor that comes into the equation when you’re deciding which ones can be funded and which ones can’t.

I’m not sure that pushing a refreshment trolley makes you a transport expert….

16 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Did they ask the locals where it should run ? Because no one asked me or anyone I know.

Most of the locals won’t know where it is practical or economic to run a tram, so not a lot of point asking such a general question.

• Like 2