Public Transport Vs. Heart Of The City Ii

Going back to the theme of Heart of the City, I would suggest developing and improving the City Centre so that there is more demand from people wanting to go there will lead to more people on the buses, trams and trains, more cars in the car parks and more taxis booked. The public transport operators, taxi drivers and car park operators will respond accordingly when they see numbers moving in the right direction.

Right now public transport operators are still recovering from Covid which has left them short of drivers and with less regular commuters buying season tickets too. The national economy is wrecked with high inflation, excessive energy bills and a cost of living crisis. The City Centre is one big building site. Hopefully all these things will improve in time, but on a more positive front, the City Centre is still busy when there is something special going on to attract people, for example the place was buzzing during the Christmas markets.

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Going back to the theme of Heart of the City, I would suggest developing and improving the City Centre so that there is more demand from people wanting to go there will lead to more people on the buses, trams and trains, more cars in the car parks and more taxis booked. The public transport operators, taxi drivers and car park operators will respond accordingly when they see numbers moving in the right direction.

TBH taxis cause a lot of city centre issues, particularly because they blatantly ignore all rules and signage, often causing near misses with trams/buses because they HAVE to be in front, 

I say if you want public transport to be better in city centre, ban taxis from all bus lanes and bus gates. It's a privilege they often abuse. 

On 31/12/2023 at 13:05, Irene Swaine said:

It pretty much sums up the whole COVID scam. They use fear to get compliance and they sneak in their agendas. 

I too remember that they said they closed Pinstone Street for "social distancing" 🤮. It's worked out to play in to their plans like a glove.

Closing Pinstone Street has been detrimental for bus users coming in from the South West. The 51 now no longer goes near Orchard Square, Fargate or High Street when Eastbound and those wanting to catch the bus back to Bents Green, Totley, Dore have to wait at a shelterless, benchless stop on Arundel Gate.

My bold. 

Agree.  Same with closing off Leopold St. 

I had to catch a bus 120 down into town from the Hallamshire Hosp a few weeks ago & it's ridiculous that it & the rest travelling down from that area of the city all now travel down close to the bottom of West St to then have to backtrack along Division St, via Carver St. 

Not only that but the closest bus stops to what is now considered to be the main shopping area, The Moor,  now appear to be either halfway down Rockingham St., or way along Arundel Gate.   Hardly helping the infirm / disabled or those with prams / small children, leaving them with a fair walk from either stop to The Moor. 

Of course, the sensible option would be to put a bus stop / bus stops closer to The Moor.  One obvious place for a bus stop would be on Charter Row right outside The Furnace bar but this wouldn't be possible at the moment as the clowns at SCC / Planning Dept have seen fit to install 4 pelican crossings in the space of about 150 meters from the top of The Moor to the top of Charter Row. 

• Like 1

On 31/12/2023 at 13:48, Planner1 said:

Oh I think I know a bit more about all that than you do, seeing as I used to sit on the boards / committees that discussed subsidised services and directly briefed and advised the councillors who made the decisions.

Level of usage of services is one factor that comes into the equation when you’re deciding which ones can be funded and which ones can’t.

I’m not sure that pushing a refreshment trolley makes you a transport expert….

Working in a nice warm office versus working operationally as a transport worker does not at all make you an expert.

Just because Chapeltown, Firth Park, Shirecliffe etc are economically deprived areas does not mean that they should be favoured in terms of bus routes. For example, here in the South West, we used to have a bus running up Nile Street, Lydgate Lane and on to Coldwell Lane, it was called the number 2 and later the number 12. It was cut because of the attitude that none of us South Westerners use buses and we all drive around in our Range Rovers etc but let me tell you this, the number 2 attracted far more customers than I have ever seen on route 18, which runs through Firth Park and all of the slummy areas and also route 5 that is dedicated to Firth Park and I have never seen more than one person on it. 

26 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Working in a nice warm office versus working operationally as a transport worker does not at all make you an expert.

Just because Chapeltown, Firth Park, Shirecliffe etc are economically deprived areas does not mean that they should be favoured in terms of bus routes. For example, here in the South West, we used to have a bus running up Nile Street, Lydgate Lane and on to Coldwell Lane, it was called the number 2 and later the number 12. It was cut because of the attitude that none of us South Westerners use buses and we all drive around in our Range Rovers etc but let me tell you this, the number 2 attracted far more customers than I have ever seen on route 18, which runs through Firth Park and all of the slummy areas and also route 5 that is dedicated to Firth Park and I have never seen more than one person on it. 

Do you make a habit of counting the number of passengers on buses while driving your Range Rover (other large unnecessary vehicles are available) around the various bus routes? You would be better off patronising the route to your own area,  it might justify a better service. 

51 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

How does the temperature of your working environment relate to your level of expertise? Do tell…

In the real world (ie not your fantasy world) decisions are made based on facts, not occasional observations. The MCA has the data from the operators on the levels of usage for bus services.

S10 has some of the busier bus services in the city like the 51 and 52, so your contention that decision makers think all S10 / South Western residents drive about in SUV’s is plainly ridiculous.

Less well off areas can be seen to have a greater need of bus services as car ownership isn’t going to be as high as in better off areas, so more people there don’t have an alternative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Pushing a cart with warm cans of Appletise & overpriced bags of Walkers crisps up and down a couple of carriages doesn't make you an expert either. You were quite literally the lowest rung on the ladder and the last to be told anything of consequence regarding operations other than the bog-roll needs replacing. 

Edited by Resident

44 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

How does the temperature of your working environment relate to your level of expertise? Do tell…

In the real world (ie not your fantasy world) decisions are made based on facts, not occasional observations. The MCA has the data from the operators on the levels of usage for bus services.

S10 has some 

Absolute tripe. You are clutching at non-existent straws. S10 as you categorise it, is a very large postcode area. The number 2 got far more customers than the number 18 ever has, that is not my "occasional observation" as you call it, that is facts. As an RMT member and transport worker, I heard and saw operational facts. The tendership is favoured towards the north and neglects the poorly served areas, such as Crosspool, Ringinglow and Sharrowvale.

Edited by Irene Swaine

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Absolute tripe. You are clutching at non-existent straws. S10 as you categorise it, is a very large postcode area. The number 2 got far more customers than the number 18 ever has, that is not my "occasional observation" as you call it, that is facts. As an RMT member and transport worker, I heard and saw operational facts. The tendership is favoured towards the north and neglects the poorly served areas, such as Crosspool, Ringinglow and Sharrowvale.

🤣🤣🤣 Yes, how many boxes of kit kats you would need...

Stop being so deluded. You were not sat in high level strategic meetings about tendering and procurement. You were not in charge or had input or had knowledge whatsoever regards infrastructure management or deployment of projects or operational needs. You pushed a trolley up and down the carriages and did some restocking.  That's it.  More than that, you weren't  even directly employed by any train operating company nor certainly not network rail given your particular job role would be outsourced through SSP/RailGourmet. Thus even less ability in your third party lowly grade status to be picking up what would be highly confidential and commercially sensitive information.  

You are talking out of your posterior.  Let alone the fact you're trying to show off your knowledge of bus use which has even less relevance to your days as a trolley dolly on the trains.  Did the EMT crew rooms regularly have in depth conversations and statistics about bus passenger use?

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

🤣🤣🤣 Yes, how many boxes of kit kats you would need...

Stop being so deluded. You were not sat in high level strategic meetings about tendering and procurement. You were not in charge or had input or had knowledge whatsoever regards infrastructure management or deployment of projects or operational needs. You pushed a trolley up and down the carriages and did some restocking.  That's it.  More than that, you weren't  even directly employed by any train operating company nor certainly not network rail given your particular job role would be outsourced through SSP/RailGourmet. Thus even less ability in your third party lowly grade status to be picking up what would be highly confidential and commercially sensitive information.  

You are talking out of your posterior.  Let alone the fact you're trying to show off your knowledge of bus use which has even less relevance to your days as a trolley dolly on the trains.  Did the EMT crew rooms regularly have in depth conversations and statistics about bus passenger use?

In my experience the best place to get completely wrong information about bus services, their usage and operation is in a bus company canteen with a strong bias towards the table populated by the union officers.