Public Transport Vs. Heart Of The City Ii

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Absolute tripe. You are clutching at non-existent straws. S10 as you categorise it, is a very large postcode area. The number 2 got far more customers than the number 18 ever has, that is not my "occasional observation" as you call it, that is facts. As an RMT member and transport worker, I heard and saw operational facts. The tendership is favoured towards the north and neglects the poorly served areas, such as Crosspool, Ringinglow and Sharrowvale.

Absolute tripe? Yeah, you know all about that don’t you.

I’m sure workers in any sector see operational “facts”. Whether someone employed in the rail industry would be privy to operational facts in the bus industry is another matter. 

Quite how you can try to contend that Crosspool is poorly served by buses rather beggars belief. 51 not frequent enough for you?

24 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Absolute tripe? Yeah, you know all about that don’t you.

I’m sure workers in any sector see operational “facts”. Whether someone employed in the rail industry would be privy to operational facts in the bus industry is another matter. 

Quite how you can try to contend that Crosspool is poorly served by buses rather beggars belief. 51 not frequent enough for you?

How frequent is it ? 

8 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

You pushed a trolley up and down the carriages and did some restocking

You know nothing about the role of on train crew. For a start, the trolley is always pulled, never pushed for safety reasons.

status to be picking up what would be highly confidential and commercially sensitive information.  

The stacks of RMT magazines in my storage room that outline tactical staffing issues and disagreements suggests otherwise.

carriages and did some restocking.  That's it.  More than that, you weren't  even directly employed by any train operating company nor certainly not network rail given your

It doesn't matter who I was employed via. Train crew are train crew and we all worked together. I have forgotten more than you will ever know about HOT protocols, ramp and door operation safety and T Key usage. Also, Network Rail maintain the track and infrastructure. They do not get involved with catering.

5 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How frequent is it ? 

Around every 20 minutes during the day, and around every 50 minutes of an evening. Despite what some people say, it does see high usage. So we have that compared to the 75, 76, 1, 1a, 95, 95a, 5, 2, 18, 88, 83 all serving Firth Park at approximately 10 minute frequencies. Let's face facts, if you are dependent on social housing, you're not going to be able to buy £30 cocktails or £200 shoes. This is why Neal's Yard Remedies closed in Meadowhall, the target market just isn't there. 

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Crosspool is a large area. The 51 only serves part of it and the 257 is only a handful of services each day. Darwin Lane, Watt Lane, Lydgate Lane, the Den Bank estate are all unserved. The 51 has also seen a frequency reduction from every 10 minutes at prime times to every 20 minutes and even less on evenings and Sundays. These buses see demand that routes such as the number 5 and number 18 never see, which suggests political bias is manipulating bus company resources. I know drivers, transport workers network and they tell me about the routes carrying fresh air whilst the 51 always has a crowd at the bus stop. Even those of us who could easily afford a car don't always want one. The city centre isn't exactly easy to park in and it's a huge burden taking a car out with you for the day. It's also a misconception that everyone in the South West is rich. The crackheads living in the flats at Lodge Moor suggest other wise. You cast a view from your house in Southey but you don't know what it's really like to live in the South West, as I have done since the 1990s. I see poverty around and I see people dependent on transport links, especially the elderly. Someone who is infirm would not be able to walk up a hill like Shore Lane.

9 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

In my experience the best place to get completely wrong information about bus services, their usage and operation is in a bus company canteen with a strong bias towards the table populated by the union officers.

And the best place to get wrong information about the trams is from the dot matrix displays at the tram stops!

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Working in a nice warm office versus working operationally as a transport worker does not at all make you an expert.

Just because Chapeltown, Firth Park, Shirecliffe etc are economically deprived areas does not mean that they should be favoured in terms of bus routes. For example, here in the South West, we used to have a bus running up Nile Street, Lydgate Lane and on to Coldwell Lane, it was called the number 2 and later the number 12. It was cut because of the attitude that none of us South Westerners use buses and we all drive around in our Range Rovers etc but let me tell you this, the number 2 attracted far more customers than I have ever seen on route 18, which runs through Firth Park and all of the slummy areas and also route 5 that is dedicated to Firth Park and I have never seen more than one person on it. 

So according to you bus routes only operate where there are no Range Rovers

7 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Crosspool is a large area. The 51 only serves part of it and the 257 is only a handful of services each day. Darwin Lane, Watt Lane, Lydgate Lane, the Den Bank estate are all unserved. The 51 has also seen a frequency reduction from every 10 minutes at prime times to every 20 minutes and even less on evenings and Sundays. These buses see demand that routes such as the number 5 and number 18 never see, which suggests political bias is manipulating bus company resources. I know drivers, transport workers network and they tell me about the routes carrying fresh air whilst the 51 always has a crowd at the bus stop. Even those of us who could easily afford a car don't always want one. The city centre isn't exactly easy to park in and it's a huge burden taking a car out with you for the day. It's also a misconception that everyone in the South West is rich. The crackheads living in the flats at Lodge Moor suggest other wise. You cast a view from your house in Southey but you don't know what it's really like to live in the South West, as I have done since the 1990s. I see poverty around and I see people dependent on transport links, especially the elderly. Someone who is infirm would not be able to walk up a hill like Shore Lane.

For as long as I can remember the 51  evening and weekend services have been less frequent than daytime ones. Nothing has changed there. The daytime services aren’t every 10 mins now, more like 15 or so. 

You’re forgetting that bus companies provide the daytime services on a commercial basis. If it profited them to put more frequent services in, they’d do it.

Do you seriously think “political bias” comes into a company’s thoughts when it comes to scheduling commercial services? 

Not every road in an area needs to have a bus service running on it. It’s generally accepted that most people will walk up to 400m to get a bus. That’s the typical distance that’s used by the industry when thinking about whether people will use public transport. Why would Lydgate Lane need to be a bus route? 52 runs past the bottom of it and 51 runs past the top. Darwin Lane and Watt Lane are in walking distance from the 51 route, as is Den Bank.

Edited by Planner1

I know drivers, transport workers network and they tell me about the routes carrying fresh air whilst the 51 always has a crowd at the bus stop. Even those of us who could easily afford a car don't always want one. The city centre isn't exactly easy to park in and it's a huge burden taking a car out with you for the day. It's also a misconception that everyone in the South West is rich. The crackheads living in the flats at Lodge Moor suggest other wise. You cast a view from your house in Southey but you don't know what it's really like to live in the South West, as I have done since the 1990s. I see poverty around and I see people dependent on transport links, especially the elderly. Someone who is infirm would not be able to walk up a hill like Shore Lane.

So knowing a few drivers and transport workers makes you an industry expert does it?

My house in Southey? Never lived there. 

I’ve lived in the South West of the city for around 20 years so I know exactly what it’s like thanks.

Sheffield is hilly, ultimately people need to recognise that in making choices on where they live. However, there are options for people who can’t get about as well under their own steam. Community Transport operate a door to door service and there are always cabs. You can’t expect there to be a bus route that takes you up every hill in the city.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

You know nothing about the role of on train crew. For a start, the trolley is always pulled, never pushed for safety reasons.

The stacks of RMT magazines in my storage room that outline tactical staffing issues and disagreements suggests otherwise.

It doesn't matter who I was employed via. Train crew are train crew and we all worked together. I have forgotten more than you will ever know about HOT protocols, ramp and door operation safety and T Key usage. Also, Network Rail maintain the track and infrastructure. They do not get involved with catering.

I am well aware of what Network Rail does.   What you have "forgotten more than I will ever know" has not a single relevance to bus scheduling and commercial route operations.   Neither does biased BS articles in RMT propaganda magazines for their gullible membership.   

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Let's face facts, if you are dependent on social housing, you're not going to be able to buy £30 cocktails or £200 shoes. This is why Neal's Yard Remedies closed in Meadowhall, the target market just isn't there. 

Oh really.   Funny that.  I thought it might have had something to do with the company's £6m losses.  Funny how they also closed stores in prestigious locations like Leeds and Edinburgh and Cardiff and Windsor and pulled out of the markets in France and Germany too.    clearly not the target markets there too.....  hmmm. 

You just keep digging love. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

Even those of us who could easily afford a car don't always want one. The city centre isn't exactly easy to park in and it's a huge burden taking a car out with you for the day. 

Absolute nonsense. The city centre is very easy to park in. There’s an over supply of parking spaces, which are never ever full.

Huge burden taking a car out with you? Are you serious?