Public Transport Vs. Heart Of The City Ii

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Cue the moaning from "experts" on here that more student accommodation isn't needed... 

Well apparently we have around 60,000 students in Sheffield & they have to live somewhere.  I know if I was one of them I'd rather live somewhere like this than in an old back to back, drafty terrace. 

There's modern student accommodation down at West Bar opposite the courts.   All mod cons, WiFi, cinema room, gym.  Along way from my old student digs when we only had hot & cold running damp. 

The other side of the argument is that it free's up existing properties in the suburbs. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Planner1 said:

service running on it. It’s generally accepted that most people will walk up to 400m to get a bus. That’s the typical distance that’s used by the industry when thinking about whether people will use public transport. Why would

It's more than 400 metres from where The Mad House (Hallamshire Hotel) was to the bus stop on Sandygate Road and more than 400 metres from there to the bus stop on Crookes. 

knowing a few drivers and transport workers makes you an industry expert does it

I am a retired transport worker, so yes, it does make me an expert.

You’re forgetting that bus companies provide the daytime services on a commercial basis. If it profited them to put more frequent services in, they’d do it.

Some, not all. For example, service 61 is fully tendered. First have limited resources at the moment with a driver shortage and have obligations to meet as part of the North Sheffield Bus. Partnership which means areas such as Firth Park etc see tremendous levels of service.

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

well aware of what Network Rail does.   What you have "forgotten more than I will ever know" has not a single relevance to bus scheduling and commercial route operations.   Neither does biased BS articles in RMT propaganda magazines for their gullible membership.   

Where you live in Ecclesfield is privy to such a high number of services because of the Sheffield North Bus Partnership. Fact. The South and West do not have such a thing and this means commercial interests are pushed to one side in favour of meeting the obligations of the partnership. Ecclesfield is roughly the same size as Fulwood, yet Fulwood only has the 120 and 83a, whereas Ecclesfield has numbers 7, 8, 2, 20, 1, 1a, 88 and 83 running to it. Funny that isn't it?

Huge burden taking a car out with you? Are you serious?

I met a friend in Matlock recently and she had to keep running back to the car park every couple of hours to buy a new ticket for her car. There are some streets that are permit holders only too. 

27 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Where you live in Ecclesfield is privy to such a high number of services because of the Sheffield North Bus Partnership. Fact. The South and West do not have such a thing and this means commercial interests are pushed to one side in favour of meeting the obligations of the partnership. Ecclesfield is roughly the same size as Fulwood, yet Fulwood only has the 120 and 83a, whereas Ecclesfield has numbers 7, 8, 2, 20, 1, 1a, 88 and 83 running to it. Funny that isn't it?

I met a friend in Matlock recently and she had to keep running back to the car park every couple of hours to buy a new ticket for her car. There are some streets that are permit holders only too. 

How long was she there?  Couldn't she make her mind up? You can buy 'all day ' tickets in car parks in Matlock you know. Obviously she didn't or couldn't read the signs. 

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

How long was she there?  Couldn't she make her mind up? You can buy 'all day ' tickets in car parks in Matlock you know. Obviously she didn't or couldn't read the signs. 

We were there for around 4 hours. We didn't know how long we were going to be there for. Having to babysit a car all day can be a chore. And she was drinking cola whilst I enjoyed a bottle of pinot grigio.

46 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am a retired transport worker, so yes, it does make me an expert.

Ok, so playing your game...    I am a 'retired' sales assistant from Atkinsons therefore I am an expert in all retail commercial operations and strategic business planning and store management, right? 

Its pathetic.  People know exactly what you are.   

You were a server from a catering trolley for a contracting company onboard trains for a few years at most. How the hell you think for one second, that gives you any serious expertise about the intricacies of transport planning, commercial bus operations and route scheduling... Think you need to seek professional help with that level of extreme delusion.