Stock Up On Torches And Candles In Case Of Power Cuts, Deputy Pm Warns

Britain’s deputy PM Oliver Dowden has warned the public they should buy candles, torches and battery-powered radios in the event of a crisis cutting power supplies.

The senior Tory cabinet minister said Britons should be more “personally resilient”, as he suggested they were too dependent on devices activated by the internet

Close

Tory minister Oliver Dowden apologises for governmental handling of pandemic

Get our free View from Westminster email

Email

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice

Britain’s deputy PM Oliver Dowden has warned the public they should buy candles, torches and battery-powered radios in the event of a crisis cutting power supplies.

The senior Tory cabinet minister said Britons should be more “personally resilient”, as he suggested they were too dependent on devices activated by the internet.

A national “resilience academy” will be launched to help people and businesses prepare for future pandemics, natural disasters and cyber-attacks, Mr Dowden has said.

Rishi Sunak’s deputy announced the plans in the Commons – claiming the new academy will help the “whole of society” prepare for major risks.

Candles? ✔️ 

Generator? ✔️ 

Battery Radio? ✔️ 

Your thoughts?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/power-cuts-energy-supply-uk-dowden-b2458560.html

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

The senior Tory cabinet minister said Britons should be more “personally resilient”, as he suggested they were too dependent on devices activated by the internet

Close

Tory minister Oliver Dowden apologises for governmental handling of pandemic

Get our free View from Westminster email

Email

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice

The senior Tory cabinet minister said Britons should be more “personally resilient”, as he suggested they were too dependent on devices activated by the internet.

A national “resilience academy” will be launched to help people and businesses prepare for future pandemics, natural disasters and cyber-attacks, Mr Dowden has said.

Rishi Sunak’s deputy announced the plans in the Commons – claiming the new academy will help the “whole of society” prepare for major risks.

Candles? ✔️ 

Generator? ✔️ 

Battery Radio? ✔️ 

Your thoughts?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/power-cuts-energy-supply-uk-dowden-b2458560.html

Already got them plus a few Uzi 9 millimetres . Them Zombie scavengers don't stand a chance 

• Like 1

Just now, hackey lad said:

Already got them plus a few Uzi 9 millimetres . Them Zombie scavengers don't stand a chance 

Want to swap me an Uzi?

I'll give you 3 boxes of fire lighters, a pack of AA batteries, 4 candles and I'll chuck in some distress flares to sweeten the deal?