Sir Tim Martin

4 hours ago, Prettytom said:

That’s the spirit. Believe something without any doubt, with not the slightest shred of evidence to support your belief.

Personally, I don’t like Martin and I don’t like Spoons, but I’m perfectly happy to share the world with them.

Maybe you should adopt a similar attitude to “the left”, “the woke”, “ThaBoom” and all of your other bogie men.

Evening Tom

I visit other forums and folk despise the bloke for no other reason than he voted for Brexit, that's just plain fact.

Excellent performance last night.

19 hours ago, m williamson said:

I agree, they're not the kind of pubs I enjoy but obviously thousands do like them and that makes them profitable. For well over twenty five years now we've been having an adult family break with the in-laws in the Lake District around Spring Time. We've stayed in various spots over the years then about eight years ago settled on Keswick.

There are a number of really good traditional English pubs in Keswick, and they opened a Wetherspoons in the old police station a few years ago.

Nice building, and it's good to see it put to use. We've never been in because it doesn't appeal but lots do and good luck to them, makes it a bit easier getting to the bar in the pubs we like. Each to their own.

Scarborough has an enormous Wetherspoons, The Lord Rosebery, up in the main town, just over from the railway station in a lovely old building, which would probably be standing derelict if it was a pub. 

Having said that, the local pub owners down on the front of the South bay put a stop to Wetherspoons taking the old Futurist Theatre over, saying Wetherspoons would kill off the existing pubs on the sea front with their lower prices. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Scarborough has an enormous Wetherspoons, The Lord Rosebery, up in the main town, just over from the railway station in a lovely old building, which would probably be standing derelict if it was a pub. 

Having said that, the local pub owners down on the front of the South bay put a stop to Wetherspoons taking the old Futurist Theatre over, saying Wetherspoons would kill off the existing pubs on the sea front with their lower prices. 

Been a while since I've been to Scarborough, we've stayed there for the odd weekend from time to time.  I prefer the smaller pubs so an enormous   Wetherspoons doesn't appeal, but I'm all for competition providing it's fair.

A major part of Wetherspoons ability to offer lower prices is turnover throughout their 800 plus pubs. A small local pub can't compete with that, but if it runs its business correctly and provides decent food and drink and a friendly atmosphere it can survive.

A choice is what matters, so hopefully enough smaller family run type places can remain with us. The big pub chains are having the same effect on the pub business as the growth of supermarkets has had on small shops.

14 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Been a while since I've been to Scarborough, we've stayed there for the odd weekend from time to time.  I prefer the smaller pubs so an enormous   Wetherspoons doesn't appeal, but I'm all for competition providing it's fair.

A major part of Wetherspoons ability to offer lower prices is turnover throughout their 800 plus pubs. A small local pub can't compete with that, but if it runs its business correctly and provides decent food and drink and a friendly atmosphere it can survive.

A choice is what matters, so hopefully enough smaller family run type places can remain with us. The big pub chains are having the same effect on the pub business as the growth of supermarkets has had on small shops.

Literally, just round the corner from the massive Wetherspoons' Lord Rosebery is this place. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190744-d5915450-Reviews-Alma_Inn_Scarborough-Scarborough_Scarborough_District_North_Yorkshire_England.html

On the front I like the Golden Ball, a Sam Smith's pub.  We have friends in Scarborough so that's how I know these things. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Literally, just round the corner from the massive Wetherspoons' Lord Rosebery is this place. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190744-d5915450-Reviews-Alma_Inn_Scarborough-Scarborough_Scarborough_District_North_Yorkshire_England.html

On the front I like the Golden Ball, a Sam Smith's pub.  We have friends in Scarborough so that's how I know these things. 

Scarborough, Whitby and Filey are all decent places in my opinion. I don't like the amusement arcade parts and never did, even when I was younger but there's usually some nice parts of town as well.

It wouldn't do for us all to be the same and there's a place for Wetherspoons as well as the traditional English pub.

As I said I don't like the blokes political views but he's done a great job spotting an opportunity and making the best out of it. Personally I think the whole honours system is anachronistic nonsense, but a lot seem to like it and as he provides employment and apparently pays his tax here he's more deserving than a lot of others who've  received them.

On 30/12/2023 at 21:00, hackey lad said:

Are you jealous of his beautifully coiffured hair ?

I have to admit Hacks, you've got me bang to rights there.

I mean I've always wanted to walk round Sheffield looking like Mrs Thatcher:

<p>Master of the house: Wetherspoons, and its outspoken owner Tim Martin, are equally loved and loathed across the country </p>

That's a thatch that Margaret would be proud of 😂