Sir Tim Martin

Guest ThaBoom
20 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

What's good about pubs dying?  Why is the loss of jobs and the enjoyment of millions a good thing?

They'll find better jobs.

You stop worrying 😟 

20 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Out of 800 pubs and hotels.

There will be many more this year 🙏 

3 hours ago, ThaBoom said:

You stop worrying 😟 

There will be many more this year 🙏 

What a terrible attitude

Do you want to see his business fail?

Is it because he supported Brexit?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThaBoom said:

You stop worrying

There will be many more this year

Unlike you I would always put British jobs first, 44 000+ of them and the same number in the supply chains and servicing.  Currently advertising for 500+ jobs from £10.72 up to beyond £30 000.

In an industry plagued by insecurity and seasonal fluctuation and located in some of the most economically deprived areas, a business on this scale offers the routes to "...better jobs ...".

He might well be a pain and his politics and views dodgy, but £6 billion paid UK taxes goes a long way in earning a 'gong'. If that is not convincing at least he cannot do a Dyson or a HP Sauce.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Unlike you I would always put British jobs first, 44 000+ of them and the same number in the supply chains and servicing.  Currently advertising for 500+ jobs from £10.72 up to beyond £30 000.

In an industry plagued by insecurity and seasonal fluctuation and located in some of the most economically deprived areas, a business on this scale offers the routes to "...better jobs ...".

He might well be a pain and his politics and views dodgy, but £6 billion paid UK taxes goes a long way in earning a 'gong'. If that is not convincing at least he cannot do a Dyson or a HP Sauce.

Completely agree, I don't like his pubs or his political views. However, he is providing jobs and paying tax  and as the ' honours list ' is of no interest to me it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Without doubt.

That’s the spirit. Believe something without any doubt, with not the slightest shred of evidence to support your belief.

Personally, I don’t like Martin and I don’t like Spoons, but I’m perfectly happy to share the world with them.

Maybe you should adopt a similar attitude to “the left”, “the woke”, “ThaBoom” and all of your other bogie men.

3 hours ago, m williamson said:

Completely agree, I don't like his pubs or his political views. However, he is providing jobs and paying tax  and as the ' honours list ' is of no interest to me it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Let's face it, Tim Martin is a successful businessman. 

He hit on a successful business model, selling alcohol, (close to the use by dates), to the masses at a cheaper price than his competitors.  I wish I'd have thought of it back in the 1990's.  He's  built a business from nothing, providing work to thousands & brought disused city centre buildings back into use.   Some might not like him, some might not like to drink in his pubs but he doesn't need you because he has hundreds of thousands of punters filling his pubs everyday. 

Wetherspoons have basically replaced the dead working men's & social clubs.  I'm surprised they haven't tried the odd bingo night?

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

He hit on a successful business model, selling alcohol, (close to the use by dates), to the masses at a cheaper price than his competitors.  I wish I'd have thought of it back in the 1990's.  He's  built a business from nothing, providing work to thousands & brought disused city centre buildings back into use.   Some might not like him, some might not like to drink in his pubs but he doesn't need you because he has hundreds of thousands of punters filling his pubs everyday. 

Wetherspoons have basically replaced the dead working men's & social clubs.  I'm surprised they haven't tried the odd bingo night?

I agree, they're not the kind of pubs I enjoy but obviously thousands do like them and that makes them profitable. For well over twenty five years now we've been having an adult family break with the in-laws in the Lake District around Spring Time. We've stayed in various spots over the years then about eight years ago settled on Keswick.

There are a number of really good traditional English pubs in Keswick, and they opened a Wetherspoons in the old police station a few years ago.

Nice building, and it's good to see it put to use. We've never been in because it doesn't appeal but lots do and good luck to them, makes it a bit easier getting to the bar in the pubs we like. Each to their own.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I agree with you.  As for the bingo a few of the Wetherspoon’s pubs do have bingo afternoons and quiz nights.