What's A Miracle To You?

The 'D' day landings were unbelievable when 150,000 troops landed in France.

Rommel was away at a family celebration in Berlin and Hitler had taken sleeping pills and his generals were afraid to wake him.  All this was unknown to the allies and with limited time awaiting the right weather for the crossing, they attempted the cross.

Unbelievable.

Edited by poppet2

31 minutes ago, poppet2 said:

The 'D' day landings were unbelievable when 150,000 troops landed in France.

Rommel was away at a family celebration in Berlin and Hitler had taken sleeping pills and his generals were afraid to wake him.  All this was unknown to the allies and with limited time awaiting the right weather for the crossing, they attempted the cross.

Unbelievable.

I very much doubt if the likes of Eisenhower and Montgomery would agree on the word ‘miracle’. Hitler didn’t even know that it had happened, such was his miss placed belief in the superiority of his forces, the truth being that he was beaten by the very best.

48 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

The day Organ Grinder actually acts his age.

😁

He shouldn't advertise my importance to his life.

For me,  most certainly nothing with Bundy in it's  title,     He's not important enough,  and just narked that his childish debating abilities are poleaxed every time he tries,

A miracle would be peace on earth.  Total peace would be an impossibility,   but if the most powerful nations became less greedy and more caring and worked together to quell small sparring nations.

I don't mean by military might but by sanctions etc and aid bundles and very quick decisive action before things kick off and leave people homeless and starving.

That would have the double effect of slowing down the numbers of people turning up on our shores needing asylum.

17 hours ago, crookesey said:

I very much doubt if the likes of Eisenhower and Montgomery would agree on the word ‘miracle’. Hitler didn’t even know that it had happened, such was his miss placed belief in the superiority of his forces, the truth being that he was beaten by the very best.

Where Hitler went wrong was in taking on Russia.  I wonder if he ever got his old school atlas out and looked at the sheer size of the place.

10 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Where Hitler went wrong was in taking on Russia.  I wonder if he ever got his old school atlas out and looked at the sheer size of the place.

The Russians used their ‘allies of’ status to create the Soviet Union, had Hitler not been an insane mega maniac we might well have allied to Germany against the Russians.

32 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The Russians used their ‘allies of’ status to create the Soviet Union, had Hitler not been an insane mega maniac we might well have allied to Germany against the Russians.

Check out details of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact & you'll find that Hitler's Germany & Stalin's Russia were close allies at one time.  

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Check out details of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact & you'll find that Hitler's Germany & Stalin's Russia were close allies at one time.  

That's correct.  Germany and Russia were originally on the same side until Hitler,  very fortunately for us,  changed his mind and attacked Russia.

Had Hitler not been so foolish,  we would have definitely lost the war  and  we are extremely fortunate that we haven't had to spend out lives under enemy occupation.

I'm quite sure that would have changed the views of many of our forum posters,  who enjoy their privileged lives,  and take such a relaxed view of living under enemy occupation.

I could see Grey or Bundy,  with a jack boot across their necks,  deciding that an English Republican Army,  or a Free English Army,  would be quite acceptable after all,   to free them from tyranny.

Edited by Organgrinder