Bringing Old Soap Actors Back,

cressida

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Uncanny isn't it?  😉

It's daft.

I remember Eastenders of old, when the stories had a passing familiarity with reality, and the script writers would've laughed off the idea of bringing a character back from the dead as pathetic. 

But that's the way British soap operas like Brookside, Coronation Street, and Eastenders have gone sadly. 

I think either the script writers are stupid, or think the audience are stupid. I gave up on Coronation Street in the early 2000s

17 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It's daft.

I remember Eastenders of old, when the stories had a passing familiarity with reality, and the script writers would've laughed off the idea of bringing a character back from the dead as pathetic. 

But that's the way British soap operas like Brookside, Coronation Street, and Eastenders have gone sadly. 

I think either the script writers are stupid, or think the audience are stupid. I gave up on Coronation Street in the early 2000s

Resurrecting Dirty Den was a bit far fetched as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I wouldn’t mind if some of the current lot in Corrie disappeared! Some dreadful acting there atm.

Yes, those announcements they put up at the end of soaps that start, "If you've been affected by tonight's programme then here are some contact details of organisations that may help", should include the phone number for Equity.  They might want to consider reviewing certain actors' union membership? 

Shouting at the top of your voice isn't acting. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I wouldn’t mind if some of the current lot in Corrie disappeared! Some dreadful acting there atm.

Hi there,  glad you are still on here,  feel quite safe when you and Nikki Red are around😊

7 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

There will never be the likes of Violet Carson, Pat Phoenix, Doris Speed, Jean Alexandra, todays lot havn't got a clue how to act. :roll:

Soap’s for getting yourself clean as far as I’m concerned.

Haven’t watched any of that dross  since that lot were in their prime.

The very first few bars of the theme tunes are enough to make me switch channels.

Having said that, many moons ago I took a school party on an educational visit to Granada Studios and the Coronation Street set!😀

echo.

On 31/12/2023 at 13:20, cressida said:

Hi there,  glad you are still on here,  feel quite safe when you and Nikki Red are around😊

Only now and again Cressida.  Not like the old days. 🫤

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Only now and again Cressida.  Not like the old days. 🫤

I'm quite nostalgiic,  have you seen my thread Blast from the Past,  I'll be putting a few more favourites on soon.  Hope Medusa is ok and the others😉

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2023 at 14:28, cressida said:

Just read 'Lauren' from Eastenders is back,  can't believe viewers would want any soap character that much to want them back,  perhaps give new actors a chance - wonder if they plead to be back,  

I don't watch soaps but their faces are always on my programme guide - unless there are interesting people on TV or Radio Times.

Any opinions?

Lauren is back and she is ok....not my favourite character but not terrible. Jacqueline Jossa is doing well for herself, she and her beau Dan Osborne have become a celebrity power couple. They are always doing magazine shoots etc. I don't think she was desperate for the money but at the same time, £6,000 per episode is not to be sniffed at!

I like to see new characters but I also like surprise returns of old ones. Sharon, Grant, Ben have all come, gone and come back again several times.

What I don't like is when people with no acting qualifications and zero acting talent get fast tracked past proper actors and given roles because they are either a celebrity or their parents are, such as Curtis and AJ Pritchard when they were in Hollyoaks and Bobby Brazier in EastEnders. It's not fair on those that have been to drama school and earnt their qualifications.

I didn't know the Pritchards were in Hollyoaks,   my son's head master was very much against the pupils watching Grange Hill,  mine don't watch soaps now but seem to know all the characters.  Jacqueline Jossa I've only seen in celebrity jungle not keen on her husband,  is he an actor?

I get your point on acting talent too.