Police Investigate Virtual Rape Of Girl In Metaverse

Detectives are investigating the first case of alleged rape in the metaverse after a child was “attacked” playing a virtual reality video game.

The girl, aged under 16, wasn’t physically injured as there was no physical assault. But she is said to have been left distraught after her avatar - or digital character - was attacked online by several adult men in a virtual “room”.

She had been wearing an immersive headset during the “attack”, the Daily Mail reported.

Police leaders are concerned she suffered the same psychological and emotional trauma as someone raped in the real world as the ‘VR’ experience is designed to be completely immersive.

I'm not sure what to make of this..

Your thoughts?.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/metaverse-rape-case-police-daily-mail-internet-npcc-b1129844.html

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Detectives are investigating the first case of alleged rape in the metaverse after a child was “attacked” playing a virtual reality video game.

The girl, aged under 16, wasn’t physically injured as there was no physical assault. But she is said to have been left distraught after her avatar - or digital character - was attacked online by several adult men in a virtual “room”.

She had been wearing an immersive headset during the “attack”, the Daily Mail reported.

Police leaders are concerned she suffered the same psychological and emotional trauma as someone raped in the real world as the ‘VR’ experience is designed to be completely immersive.

I'm not sure what to make of this..

Your thoughts?.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/metaverse-rape-case-police-daily-mail-internet-npcc-b1129844.html

FFS! really  just switch the thing off and take it off stupid girl, its the game makers that want taking to task there are some sick people in this world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How can anyone deal with something which never actually happened ?

I suppose some idiot will be wanting to prosecute someone who frightened them in a nightmare next.

Play with matches get burned I suppose.

It’s obviously not a nice thing to have to experience when trying to play a game but it’s a game - it’s not real.

you’re always likely to get weirdoes in those

kind of games unless you somehow tried to moderate/regulate it.

I would suggest that the affected person Chucks the headset in the bin.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

How can anyone deal with something which never actually happened ?

I suppose some idiot will be wanting to prosecute someone who frightened them in a nightmare next.

But potentially something did happen.

If these perpetrators are proven to have deliberately targeted the child's profile character designed by the individual victim uniquely identified as the individual victim and it was the individual victim who was witnessing the attacks through her VR headset then that is  the cause of harm.  

Just because that person has an anonymous  profile through a cartoon avatar does not mean that they were immune from distress and impact from actions. 

Creepy men letching with lurid narrative to  underage girls in old-school chat rooms were not technically causing physical harm, but they'd  still be hauled up for their crimes if they were caught breaching the Sexual Offences Act as sexual communications to minors on any device was an offence.  

It seems that in this present story we have a group controlling their adult form avatars to perform a sex crime against a child avatar profile whilst the real world child is watching, it happen in real time before their own eyes through the VR headset. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that such will be falling under the same sort of offence and obvious causing psychological harm.   Whether it can actually be proved is a different story as I don't know how metaverse captures its data, but that doesn't mean it should simply be dismissed. 

We all have our anonymous profiles on here. We are all just a faceless piece of text presented on a forum. However, if my profile started deliberately being targeted by someone and I got genuinely threatening actions against it or death threats or distressing images sent to me directly, do we not think that will be reportable and actually be a crime by the sender. Do we not think that it could be argued the sender was attempting to deliberately harm me?

As the line between reality and the computerised world is becoming increasingly blurred, this sort of action is going to get more and more prevalent. It can't just be dismissed as "oh it's a computer game" or "they should just turn it off". 

I do love how GB news have typically got all frothy mouthed about this, playing it all down and banging on about how silly it all is.  Yet the same channel and it's moronic viewers will be first ones out with a pitch fork demanding that they lock them up, throw away the key, cut their nuts off, let them burn in hell the second a story about a rapist or paedophile or child trafficker comes out.  Talk about hypocrites. 

Edited by ECCOnoob