Police Investigate Virtual Rape Of Girl In Metaverse

30 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Section 12 of the Sexual Offences Act potentially applies, as the offence relates to causing a child to view images of a sexual act, it doesn't stipulate that the image can't be digitally created. Interesting one for the judges and lawyers.

Yeah, definitely. Will be a solid test case on interpretation of the Act wording. 

Suspect it will be another one where half of the office will be watching a live feed if it gets up to supreme court level.

In the Avatar film, they had a child together.

But we all understand it wasn't real, can these vertual reality gizmos be a force for good, allow people to enjoy themselves?

Can those people that havn't experienced it understand it? 

In my opinion, the act of trying to rape in real life and in the game cannot be equated. It is impossible to dismiss the fact that the child was frightened and perhaps saw something that he clearly should not have seen at this age. I think in the future there should be some kind of regulation of the stay of children and adults in the metauniverse.
Although personally, everything related to the metaverse scares me. And it seems to me that children should not spend a lot of time there. Or maybe it's not worth it at all.

4 hours ago, Resident said:

I hope they don't see any of my GTA gameplay.....

GTA has a 18 certificate. It is also well established by the purchaser of such  game what content is going to be expected. Furthermore, it does not show the explicit sex in real time from the first person point of view - so it's hardly equal.

What people seem to be missing here is that metaverse is not simply 'a game'.  The characters and avatars are uniquely designed by the user and identified with a unique name linked to the individual.  There was not a point of expectation which such child user would have their profile  targeted and witness sexual acts committed upon it.   As I mention earlier, the act committed by the alleged perpetrators potentially breaches the law by means of communications or other unwarranted imagery of sexual violence performed directly in front of the eyes of a  minor.  

Virtual world or not, that is potentially a valid prosecution.

Edited by ECCOnoob