Flue In Sheffield

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Even that link acknowledges that  ‘Flu was sometimes spelled flue when it first emerged in the early 19th century (a century or so after influenza), but flu has now been the standard for over a century’.  I agree that flu is the more common, standard spelling but flue is still an alternative spelling.

Ah, so you're a time traveller?

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

Flu, short for influenza, refers to a contagious viral infection involving respiratory inflammation and fever. The word is also used more generally for a range of illnesses involving similar symptoms.

A flue is a pipe, duct, or tube through which exhaust gases from a fireplace, furnace, or boiler exit a building. There’s also a type of fishing net called a flue.

Flue is an old word. Its etymology is mysterious, but its earliest known instances in English are from nearly five centuries ago.1 Flu was sometimes spelled flue when it first emerged in the early 19th century (a century or so after influenza), but flu has now been the standard for over a century.2

22 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I also had a flu jab last year. Also a Covid one. These jabs won’t stop you getting these viruses but if you do get them the virus won’t be as bad as if you hadn’t had them.

Yes, I think it’s definitely worthwhile.  I’m not sure if  the coronavirus vaccines are available privately yet but did hear something about this being introduced soon.

14 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Ah, so you're a time traveller?

It’s a less common spelling but still correct nonetheless according to a (paper) dictionary I own.

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Heard this morning from a friend that her husband is down with flu(e) and she says he's had the jab.

It probably would be worse if he hadn’t had the jab though!

58 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

GC6YtlzXwAAD0zp.jpg

No it’s a relatively modern dictionary (albeit a little out of date now).

Flu is just a normal part of life. Nothing to get hysterical about. It is very common this time of year and has been since day dot. I've had it twice and was unable to get out of bed for a few days but felt better around day 3 and was back to normal by day 5. Clever thing the immune system.

29 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Flu is just a normal part of life. Nothing to get hysterical about. It is very common this time of year and has been since day dot. I've had it twice and was unable to get out of bed for a few days but felt better around day 3 and was back to normal by day 5. Clever thing the immune system.

Lots of people have busy lives and don’t have time to be bedridden for a few days.  Some people end up with post viral fatigue too even though they were previously healthy.  The flue vaccine is a good thing!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Lots of people have busy lives and don’t have time to be bedridden for a few days.  Some people end up with post viral fatigue too even though they were previously healthy.  The flue vaccine is a good thing!

Did you get your jab sorted ?

37 minutes ago, pfifes said:

How do we know they aren't injecting something else, like the convid vaccine? I don't trust them anywhere near me with a needle after what I've seen over the past 4 years.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1