Fowler Family Of Neepsend

I'm researching my Mum's Fowler ancestry and during a Google search, I found an old thread on here about them, but now I can't find it! They lived in Harvest Lane in the 1930's but also in other streets in the area over the years. The family I'm interested in are Thomas William and Beatrice Fowler and their children, Beatrice, Kate, Nellie, Ernest, Thomas William, Cyril, Gertrude, Dennis, Edward and George (Nellie was my grandmother). I know that Thomas William's mother was Halley, or Alley, Fowler and that his father was probably William Cousins. I'd be really grateful for any information which can help me flesh out the information I have from census returns, certificates etc - I'd be particularly interested to know how Nellie ended up in a small village in East Yorkshire!

Thanks very much,

Elaine Coates

My grandma was an Elsie Fowler, from Woodhouse. I never knew her as she died before I was born. She looks nice in the photos though.

She had a brother William. Their parents were partners in a soft drinks firm.

2 hours ago, Palomar said:

My grandma was an Elsie Fowler, from Woodhouse. I never knew her as she died before I was born. She looks nice in the photos though.

She had a brother William. Their parents were partners in a soft drinks firm.

Did they live on the Blocks Coisley Road?.

4 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Did they live on the Blocks Coisley Road?.

I don't think so, some of my mother's side lived on the Blocks, the Herbert's perhaps.

The Fowlers lived on Tannery St, next to the Wesleyan chapel. There was Harriet, Ellen and Miriam as well as the aforementioned William and Elsie.

1 minute ago, Palomar said:

I don't think so, some of my mother's side lived on the Blocks, the Herbert's perhaps.

The Fowlers lived on Tannery St, next to the Wesleyan chapel. There was Harriet, Ellen and Miriam as well as the aforementioned William and Elsie.

I know the Herberts, my Brother in law lives in their house on the Blocks now.

Margarett Herberts I still see.

I used to sit with Mr Herberts in the west end club as a child, I can't post his nickname on here because of the PC brigade.

Well how's about that.

My great aunt married James Herbert. They had James, Walter, Ronald and Jack.

It was one of them that lived on the Blocks, mum remembers Mr Herbert made her a very nice chocolate egg just after WWII, they came to my Grandad's funeral.

I played the west end in 1984, I think we got £40, my dad built the shower block that used to be behind it, so he claimed.

On 07/01/2024 at 00:32, Alextopman said:

I know the Herberts, my Brother in law lives in their house on the Blocks now.

Margarett Herberts I still see.

I used to sit with Mr Herberts in the west end club as a child, I can't post his nickname on here because of the PC brigade.

If it's the same Herbert's then your B-I-L must live at about the 2nd or 3rd house down.

They were Beatie and Jim Herbert. Their Son Jim lived just around the corner on Sheffield Rd, I think one of his daughters worked in the pharmacy at Middlewood hospital. The other son Ron would always run up and give my mum a hug when we saw him in the village.

I did a DNA test the other year and that reconnected me with various Herbert descendents.

So what was Mr Herbert's nickname?

2 minutes ago, Palomar said:

If it's the same Herbert's then your B-I-L must live at about the 2nd or 3rd house down.

They were Beatie and Jim Herbert. Their Son Jim lived just around the corner on Sheffield Rd, I think one of his daughters worked in the pharmacy at Middlewood hospital. The other son Ron would always run up and give my mum a hug when we saw him in the village.

I did a DNA test the other year and that reconnected me with various Herbert descendents.

So what was Mr Herbert's nickname?

It wouldn't. be well received these days.

The story goes when he came back from the war he was very tanned and he stayed like that.

• Thanks 1