Red Sea Bullsht?

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Why ?    Is it our bit of seaway ?

The RN was formed, and paid for, mainly in order to allow free trade without the intervention of pirates.

If those 'effers are attacking merchant ships blow them up, I have no problem with that, esp if it's going to affect how much I can buy in the shops  and/or its price.

54 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The RN was formed, and paid for, mainly in order to allow free trade without the intervention of pirates.

If those 'effers are attacking merchant ships blow them up, I have no problem with that, esp if it's going to affect how much I can buy in the shops  and/or its price.

The RN was formed to deter invasions and to tackle other navies who were a threat.

Yes'  they would also deal with pirates too as would any countries navies if they came across them.

We have gone from having more or less the most powerful navy in the world to around 9th position with only a fraction of the might we had.

What makes you think that it's Britain's job to police the Red Sea when shipping from every country uses it.

As part of a truly International Force, it would make sense,  but we keep getting dragged into wars which are not ours,  and it's time we stopped inviting trouble to our doors. 

It's a problem for the world so let the world solve it.

I will agree that I also have no problem with blowing up anyone posing a threat to  British vessels  but we are not the world's policeman.

33 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The RN was formed to deter invasions and to tackle other navies who were a threat.

Yes'  they would also deal with pirates too as would any countries navies if they came across them.

We have gone from having more or less the most powerful navy in the world to around 9th position with only a fraction of the might we had.

What makes you think that it's Britain's job to police the Red Sea when shipping from every country uses it.

As part of a truly International Force, it would make sense,  but we keep getting dragged into wars which are not ours,  and it's time we stopped inviting trouble to our doors. 

I will agree that I also have no problem with blowing up anyone posing a threat to  British vessels  but we are not the world's policeman.

I f tha's not been to sea and experienced  the  hazards  that merchantmen already have to face so as to fill thi larder and put fuel in thi car and house then shut up  .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1

Next time you go to chip shop and get a nice piece of cod or Haddock think of those lads who risk their lives  to get it to you .

If its from the Red Sea to the Artic circle it makes no difference they do not want would be Rambo's shooting at them . 

Think before you gob off 

56 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

What makes you think only the RN are protecting the sea lanes in international waters?

All large navies have long protected shipping routes around the world because their countries trade globally.

There's even poems and songs written about it:

Big Steamers

“Oh, where are you going to, all you Big Steamers,
With England’s own coal, up and down the salt seas?”
“We are going to fetch you your bread and your butter,
Your beef, pork, and mutton, eggs, apples, and cheese.”

“And where will you fetch it from, all you Big Steamers,
And where shall I write you when you are away?”
“We fetch it from Melbourne, Quebec, and Vancouver.
Address us at Hobart, Hong-kong, and Bombay.”

“But if anything happened to all you Big Steamers,
And suppose you was wrecked up and down the salt sea?”
“Why, then you’d have no coffee or bacon for breakfast,
And you’d have no muffins or toast for your tea.”

“Then I’ll pray for fine weather for all you Big Steamers
For little blue billows and breezes so soft.”
“Oh, billows and breezes don’t bother Big Steamers:
We’re iron below and steel-rigging aloft.”

“Then I’ll build a new lighthouse for all you Big Steamers,
With plenty wise pilots to pilot you through.”
“Oh, the Channel’s as bright as a ball-room already,
And pilots are thicker than pilchards at Looe.”

“Then what can I do for you, all you Big Steamers,
Oh, what can I do for your comfort and good?”
“Send out your big warships to watch your big waters,
That no one may stop us from bringing you food.

For the bread that you eat and the biscuits you nibble,
The sweets that you suck and the joints that you carve,
They are brought to you daily by All Us Big Steamers
And if any one hinders our coming you’ll starve!”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, altus said:

What makes you think only the RN are protecting the sea lanes in international waters?

All large navies have long protected shipping routes around the world because their countries trade globally.

Thank you .Bang on

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

I f tha's not been to sea and experienced  the  hazards  that merchantmen already have to face so as to fill thi larder and put fuel in thi car and house then shut up  .

Neither you, nor anyone else will ever shut me up.

I'm well aware of what merchantmen face with someone in the family who was badly injured in the Murmansk convoys and paid the price for the rest of his life.

I am making the point to Chekhov that we should be part of an International force and not acting as the worlds copper on our own or just with America.

Are you too stupid to realise how we manage to be so unpopular in the middle east ?

After going in with all guns blazing,  you can't understand why we are hated.

We should do our bit,  bot only alongside the rest of the world.

Use thi brains lad,  if tha's got any.

55 minutes ago, altus said:

Who said that only the RN are protecting the sea lanes ?

I was making the point, in answer to Chekhov's post,  that it is a world problem and we should be part of a world force.  Is that not so ?

Nobody has told us how many countries are involved in this policing of the Red Sea.

Poems and songs have nothing  to do with it.

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Next time you go to chip shop and get a nice piece of cod or Haddock think of those lads who risk their lives  to get it to you .

If its from the Red Sea to the Artic circle it makes no difference they do not want would be Rambo's shooting at them . 

Think before you gob off 

Does tha think that our Cod is caught in the Red Sea ?

It's all that Stoooonses tha keeps supping in Norfolk.