Red Sea Bullsht?

1 minute ago, butlers said:

India and the Dutch have already sent warships ,I dare say others are also already patroling

Very glad to hear it.  I understand that the force will comprise 10 nations when it's fully formed.

BBC News said that according to the Houthis and Hezbollah spokesmen, they fully intend to carry on with these attacks in support of Palestine so it could turn out to have serious consequences.

Last I saw, US claimed 20 countries have signed up to a naval coalition, though 8 declined to be named.

This is one of many reports, I just picked the first hit from Google

Some countries have since partially withdrawn, but remain committed to shipping protection, though acting under the banners of NATO, US etc, rather than submitting to US command and/or control.

Shipping companies actions are insurance as well as safety driven.

There were already operations ongoing in the area, and it appears that some participating countries my initially be supplying personnel, rather than vessels
"Dutch defence Kajsa Ollongren said on social media on Tuesday that the Netherlands would second two staff officers to operation Prosperity Guardian."

See Here

See also

Edited by peak4

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

No,  I've been arguing from a position of knowledge gleaned from everyday life,  news and current affairs programs as I have for all my life and as the entire planet has until recently.

The world can operate without Google you know,  and has done for millennia,   despite the fact that you seem very dependant on it,

You didn't give any details as to what ships are helping us so I presume that you don't know any more than me.

But not knowledge about what is being done from easily accessible sources.

It makes no difference what I think should happen,  nor even what you think should happen,  as you seem to have set yourself up to be public educator for the Red Sea protection force.

As they are not informing you of their plans either,  leaving you totally reliant on your search engine,  I suggest you get down off your high horse and find something more productive to do.

My only thought was that we should NOT as a country put ourselves AGAIN in a perilous position when the problem has world wide effects.    We have done that before resulting in terrorist attacks upon us.

That's only my personal view but a very sensible one anyway.  You are at liberty to differ if you wish and it's not my concern whether you might enjoy warfare and think that's like a computer game too.

Happy Googling.

You have, unsurprisingly, dodged the question. If you are going to insist we shouldn't get involved until a fully formed, and sufficiently international for you, group has been formed what should happen? Merchant shipping be left open to attacks?

Sensibly, countries with warships in the area will act to protect shipping until an international group, that they'll almost certainly be part of anyway, can be set up. That is what is happening.

They even have organisations permanently set up to coordinate countries responses to threats to shipping - see Combined Maritime Forces.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Last I saw, US claimed 20 countries have signed up to a naval coalition, though 8 declined to be named.

This is one of many reports, I just picked the first hit from Google

Some countries have since partially withdrawn, but remain committed to shipping protection, though acting under the banners of NATO, US etc, rather than submitting to US command and/or control.

Shipping companies actions are insurance as well as safety driven.
See also

This is exactly the kind of thing I envisaged and supports my thinking that this is a serious matter which could at worst lead to WW3 and should be very broad based.

It would be preferable for it to be done under Nato but none Nato countries also use the Red Sea and they have an interest too.

Following America blindly is not universally seen as the wisest course any longer due to America being Israel's main ally and also the one who could stop the slaughter if they wished.

4 minutes ago, altus said:

But not knowledge about what is being done from easily accessible sources.

You have, unsurprisingly, dodged the question. If you are going to insist we shouldn't get involved until a fully formed, and sufficiently international for you, group has been formed what should happen? Merchant shipping be left open to attacks?

Sensibly, countries with warships in the area will act to protect shipping until an international group, that they'll almost certainly be part of anyway, can be set up. That is what is happening.

They even have organisations permanently set up to coordinate countries responses to threats to shipping - see Combined Maritime Forces.

These sources seem to have provided you with very little knowledge.

No questions for me to dodge  -  I am not a government minister,  with no options at my command,  and I am not allowed to insist on anything except airing my view. What I think doesn't count.

You could be wrong regarding  a  "group that they'll almost certainly be a part of"  as pointed out in the link, provided by Peak4,  below

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2023/12/24/716922/Major-setback-for-US-led-naval-coalition-in-Red-Sea-as-France,-Spain-and-Italy-withdraw

That seems to be falling apart quicker than it's being set up.

As I have already said,  my main concern is being satisfied by knowing that this is being seriously considered and acted upon as I was hoping it would.

and that it is not falling upon the US and ourselves to take all the risk,  spend all the money,  and suffer any later consequences all on our own.   I am therefore,  reasonably happy now.

45 minutes ago, butlers said:

India and the Dutch have already sent warships ,I dare say others are also already patroling

I'm sure China have a very big interest as all their products being ship to Europe go through the Suez 

I'm sure China will speak to their friends in the Iranian government and tell them to keep their boys under manners 

• 2 weeks later...

So we have

Russia still in Ukraine 

Israel in Gaza and also bombing Lebanon

UK, US etc bombing inside Yeman

Houthis firing at ships in the red sea

Targets inside Iraq and Syria being hit again.

And now Pakistan and Iran are at it

Sigh

Edited by melthebell

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

So we have

Russia still in Ukraine 

Sigh

But apart from that, everything’s fine.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, melthebell said:

So we have

Russia still in Ukraine 

Sigh

Hmmm, it's all rather depressing really.

So much for WW1 being the war to end all wars eh? 

• Thanks 1