British Post Office Scandal

2 minutes ago, altus said:

From The Post Office cover up, part 2: They wanted it all to go away:

Given that problems with the Horizon system first appeared over 20 years ago, all governments, including Labour ones, would have been aware of the issues with the system through their representatives overseeing the organisation.

It would appear that the little   "overseeing"   which has taken place showed up only those issues which could be conveniently forgotten and deemed as not worth acting upon.

This  "overseeing"  is exactly the kind of thing which should be looked at very closely by someone far less incompetent than the original "overseers"

1 hour ago, altus said:

From The Post Office cover up, part 2: They wanted it all to go away:

Given that problems with the Horizon system first appeared over 20 years ago, all governments, including Labour ones, would have been aware of the issues with the system through their representatives overseeing the organisation.

That may be true, but its rather meaningless to blame the Blair Government, lets just think about the last decade. Unless its something that can be proven in court.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

That may be true, but its rather meaningless to blame the Blair Government, lets just think about the last decade. Unless its something that can be proven in court.

Well back in 1999, whoever's responsibility it was in Blair's Govt, signed off the Horizon project - and why wouldn't they.  They would have been fully assured by Fujitsu that everything had been robustly tested & what they, (or rather the UK taxpayers), were paying them for worked. 

Which brings me on to Fujitsu.  Why do they seem to be hardly mentioned when it comes to this issue. 

Rather than the UK taxpayers footing the compensation bill, surely it should be Fujitsu?  It's their dodgy IT that's caused all the problems. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

Well back in 1999, whoever's responsibility it was in Blair's Govt, signed off the Horizon project - and why wouldn't they.  They would have been fully assured by Fujitsu that everything had been robustly tested & what they, (or rather the UK taxpayers), were paying them for worked. 

Which brings me on to Fujitsu.  Why do they seem to be hardly mentioned when it comes to this issue. 

Rather than the UK taxpayers footing the compensation bill, surely it should be Fujitsu?  It's their dodgy IT that's caused all the problems. 

Quite correct and I fully agree with that.

7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Worse than that, they are still being awarded new contracts - Fujitsu bags £430m government contracts despite rising cost of Post Office Horizon scandal.

The latest contract awards take government spending with Fujitsu to over £3.5bn since 2013.

i.e. Since the Horizon scandal came to light.

12 hours ago, El Cid said:

Strange how we have had all these investigations and it has taken a drama to get the MET Police investigation.

On 26 February 2020, Prime Minister Boris Johnson committed to hold an independent inquiry. The Metropolitan Police initiated a criminal investigation into Post Office Limited in early 2020.

During the non-statutory inquiry, two public hearings were held in early 2021.

BBC Panorama investigation into the Post Office scandal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016t20

Adam Crozier, CEO of Royal Mail (2003–10)  is conspicuous by his absence from Mr Bates V The Post Office, he is now CEO of BT.

The 'Clarke Advice(2013) was pivotal in the Court of Appeal's finding that ... the Post Office was engaged in conduct that constituted an abuse of the process of the court and calculated to subvert the integrity of the criminal justice system or undermine public confidence in it.

Isn't Royal Mail a separate company from 'Post Office' ?   

On 05/01/2024 at 14:09, El Cid said:

The problems started in 1999 and all those convicted still havnt been cleared or settled on full compensation.

Has anyone you know been affected? Its back in the news because of the ITV show. Is that a change from BBC or channel 4/5 doing the investagive shows?

Horizon is the outcome of the Pathway project, whose procurement process commenced in August 1994, and announced by social security minister Peter Lilley at the 1995 Conservative Party conference.

The lady in charge got an MBE, in Boris Johnsons 2019 New Year Honours, how rediculous.

I cannot see her going to jail, but surely someone has done wrong and should be brought to account?

In April 2012, Paula Vennells became CEO of the Post Office, she was also an Anglican priest!!

I was reading that the head of the Post Office at the time is now head of ITV, but that wasnt mentioned, Adam Crozier (2003–2010) would it be wrong to hold him to account?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Post_Office_scandal

I think Paula Vennells was awarded a CBE.   I have been suspicious about the 'Honours System' for years and seems to serve those who are already 'well connected' and largely ignores nominations for and by 'ordinary folk'.  I do speak from personal experience.

10 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Isn't Royal Mail a separate company from 'Post Office' ?   

I think Paula Vennells was awarded a CBE.   I have been suspicious about the 'Honours System' for years and seems to serve those who are already 'well connected' and largely ignores nominations for and by 'ordinary folk'.  I do speak from personal experience.

On 1 April 2012, Post Office Limited became independent of Royal Mail Group, and was reorganised to become a subsidiary of Royal Mail Holdings.

Whith such a massive company and Parliament ultimately responsible, its difficult to pin blame on one person.

The ITV proman has singled out Paula Vennells, I dont know if that is justified.

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It appears that Michael Keegan, husband of Tory Education Minister Gillian Keegan, was the UK Chief Executive & Chair of Fujitsu, the firm behind the Horizon computer system during the Post Office Scandal. He also sits on the advisory board of the Prince's Trust and is a non-executive director of an IT firm called Centerprise, which recently won a £1 million contract linked to the schools rebuilding programme.

Edited by Mister M