New Train Route To London.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-london-firstgroup-applies-run-new-faster-direct-train-steel-city-capital-4467102

Could be interesting... maybe a bit of competition for MML. Only 2 return journeys a day though. Good news for Worksop, Retford and people living in Woodhouse. Wonder how long it'll take to get to London using this service given the claims it will be faster... if I'm correct some services to London take just over 2 hours at the minute. 

As you say, you can already get to London in 2 hours 5 minutes which is pretty decent. Is there really any need to try and improve on that when they will only be able to shave 10-15 minutes off the journey time?

2 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

As you say, you can already get to London in 2 hours 5 minutes which is pretty decent. Is there really any need to try and improve on that when they will only be able to shave 10-15 minutes off the journey time?

You say it's decent but Doncaster has a train that takes half an hour less. So for a city the size of Sheffield the journey time is a bit of a disgrace really. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

Any incremental improvement on the travel time between Sheffield & the capital (or indeed anywhere) shouldn't be sniffed at, particularly when it means some extra capacity too.

Is there really any need to try and improve?

Sheffield folk, eh?!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

It’s not just the time it’s the extra service and from different locations also - it’s great news.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Also, what is the total journey time to London for someone living in or near Woodhouse at the moment? A lot longer than 2 hours and 5 minutes I bet.

And anyone in Worksop has to take an infrequent train to either Retford or Nottingham, the latter takes ages, and the former requires moving from low level to high level platforms.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-london-firstgroup-applies-run-new-faster-direct-train-steel-city-capital-4467102

Could be interesting... maybe a bit of competition for MML. Only 2 return journeys a day though. Good news for Worksop, Retford and people living in Woodhouse. Wonder how long it'll take to get to London using this service given the claims it will be faster... if I'm correct some services to London take just over 2 hours at the minute. 

The current travel time to London Saint Pancras from Sheffield is 2 hours 1 minute for most of the fast services. Services calling at Long Eaton, East Midlands Parkway & Loughborough take slightly longer. 

The East Coast Mainline, which these proposed services would use beyond Retford, generally has higher line speeds, with 125mph being permitted for much of the line. The Midland Mainline, which EMR services use to Saint Pancras only has 125mph running between Bedford and London. However, line speed between Sheffield and Retford is significantly slower.

I don't think there is a market for direct London services from Woodhouse. Worksop definitely could work. First Group also operate 2 Open Access (purely commercial) ventures on the East Coast Mainline, Hull Trains and Lumo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Also, what is the total journey time to London for someone living in or near Woodhouse at the moment? A lot longer than 2 hours and 5 minutes I bet.

I'm not convinced that anyone from Woodhouse has ever visited London.

• Haha 4