New Train Route To London.

Guest busdriver1

Try looking beyond the immediate area of the stations and you might find that these could be very attractive routes. 

Woodhouse that is predictably getting slated could well appeal to folks from Aston and other places within a similar radius as a realistic alternative to travelling into Sheffield and I am sure that Worksop could be very attractive to many.

22 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Try looking beyond the immediate area of the stations and you might find that these could be very attractive routes. 

Woodhouse that is predictably getting slated could well appeal to folks from Aston and other places within a similar radius as a realistic alternative to travelling into Sheffield and I am sure that Worksop could be very attractive to many.

Indeed, although the times will be a dealbreaker, ideally a post 8am departure.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed, although the times will be a dealbreaker, ideally a post 8am departure.

Would be very tricky to add another morning Peak on the ECML, especially with the additional Empty Coaching Stock movements from Doncaster IET depot.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

From Aston to Woodhouse, it would be a case of the hourly X5 to Woodhouse Mill and then walking up Station Road to the station..the businessman may find it a struggle to make it on time and mothers with push chairs and nappy/feedbags would find it a trek up that hill. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Would be very tricky to add another morning Peak on the ECML, especially with the additional Empty Coaching Stock movements from Doncaster IET depot.

From Aston to Woodhouse, it would be a case of the hourly X5 to Woodhouse Mill and then walking up Station Road to the station..the businessman may find it a struggle to make it on time and mothers with push chairs and nappy/feedbags would find it a trek up that hill. 

If they walked backwards ,it would trick their brain into thinking they were going downhill .  Knew my Psychology degree would come in handy .:thumbsup:

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You say it's decent but Doncaster has a train that takes half an hour less. So for a city the size of Sheffield the journey time is a bit of a disgrace really. 

That's just because Doncaster is directly on the east coast main line.

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Any incremental improvement on the travel time between Sheffield & the capital (or indeed anywhere) shouldn't be sniffed at, particularly when it means some extra capacity too.

I'm not some luddite who is against progress. I just don't see it as a priority to slightly reduce the travel time to London when there are so many other routes that need upgrading first. Sheffield-Manchester for example. You can get to London in two hours yet it takes 55 minutes to get to Manchester which is only 40 miles away.

I'm not sure why everyone is suddenly for this when everyone was against HS2. It's the same argument in terms of money would be better spent elsewhere instead of slightly reducing travel time to London.

6 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

It’s not just the time it’s the extra service and from different locations also - it’s great news.

Would you not prefer quicker travel times to Leeds, Manchester and York etc instead of slightly reducing travel time to London?

Edited by Vrsaljko

16 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

That's just because Doncaster is directly on the east coast main line.

I know that. Its also nowhere near as important as Sheffield in terms of population size, business links etc, so that needs rectifying. Doncaster a historical beneficiary of railway geography.

As for the rest of your post, I dont think anyone is throwing money at the infrastructure, there are no line upgrades here or money being thrown at it,, its just ONE operator running TWO trains a day.  Its still going to be hamstrung by the low speed limit on the Retford-Sheffield section. It just so happens its still quicker going this route than using the MML, which is a shocker in itself.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

If the details in the article are correct (journalism isn't what it was), this is going to be an extension of the Hull Trains venture. I am glad it's them and not a Lumo type no frills venture. The slightly shaved journey time wouldn't be enough to compete with EMR, in my opinion. There has to be a splendid onboard service. Hull Trains have great onboard staff, the best service I have received when riding as a passenger. If they offer a good catering product, especially in First Class, it could encourage the businessman away from EMR or changing at Doncaster and getting LNER. 

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1

I think several of us are missing the goals of this venture. To my mind it is not about competing head on with other operators but instead offering an alternative that gives friendlier travel options for some, to the degree that travel times are not a deal breaker. As has been stated already this is a parallel operation to the popular Hull trains venture and will be offering good on board service to the customer, and I believe an extended parking facility at Woodhouse. That would appeal to me rather than the torturous drag into Sheffield or Doncaster then finding parking at either of them.  As a bonus there may be a couple of vacancies for trolley dollies 😄