New Train Route To London.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

I think several of us are missing the goals of this venture. To my mind it is not about competing head on with other operators but instead offering an alternative that gives friendlier travel options for some, to the degree that travel times are not a deal breaker. As has been stated already this is a parallel operation to the popular Hull trains venture and will be offering good on board service to the customer, and I believe an extended parking facility at Woodhouse. That would appeal to me rather than the torturous drag into Sheffield or Doncaster then finding parking at either of them.  As a bonus there may be a couple of vacancies for trolley dollies 😄

Reading the press quotes (which may or may not be accurate) its  a London-Sheffield route rather than a Sheffield-London, meaning the first trip from London would mean a late morning departure from Sheffield with the return second trip being early afternoon, this would tie in with Hull Trains present operation, but wouldn’t make it an attractive option for a day out from Sheffield.

I may be wrong on this (it wouldn’t be the first time) but that’s how the press release from First reads.

1 minute ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Reading the press quotes (which may or may not be accurate) its  a London-Sheffield route rather than a Sheffield-London, meaning the first trip from London would mean a late morning departure from Sheffield with the return second trip being early afternoon, this would tie in with Hull Trains present operation, but wouldn’t make it an attractive option for a day out from Sheffield.

I may be wrong on this (it wouldn’t be the first time) but that’s how the press release from First reads.

But it would be useful to me, for my regular holidays down south. 😀

On 05/01/2024 at 23:00, Vrsaljko said:

Would you not prefer quicker travel times to Leeds, Manchester and York etc instead of slightly reducing travel time to London?

Why do I have to choose between one or the other. I’d like quicker routes to all those places.

Just now, RollingJ said:

Wouldn't we all? But sometimes practicalities get in the way.

The point I’m making is that poo poo-ing an improvement in the service to London doesn’t mean we can’t still hope for improvements elsewhere.

that attitude is how things never get done.

8 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

The point I’m making is that poo poo-ing an improvement in the service to London doesn’t mean we can’t still hope for improvements elsewhere.

that attitude is how things never get done.

Fair enough - we can all hope for changes/improvements, so long as they are viable.

The proposed timings (obviously subject to adjustment/flexing as the plan develops) are apparently as follows:-

Sheffield       dep         09:20   16:54
Retford           dep       10:17    17:39
Kings Cross   arr       11:44    19:14

Kings Cross    dep    12:48    19:56
Retford            arr       14:10    21:17
Sheffield         arr        14:57    21:56

• Like 1

Just now, Martin C said:

The proposed timings (obviously subject to adjustment/flexing as the plan develops) are apparently as follows:-

Not good for me, unfortunately, then.

56 minutes ago, Martin C said:

Well done Martin C. I’m happy to be corrected.