New Train Route To London.

1 hour ago, Martin C said:

The proposed timings (obviously subject to adjustment/flexing as the plan develops) are apparently as follows:-

Sheffield       dep         09:20   16:54
Retford           dep       10:17    17:39
Kings Cross   arr       11:44    19:14

Kings Cross    dep    12:48    19:56
Retford            arr       14:10    21:17
Sheffield         arr        14:57    21:56

So 2h20  or 2h24 to get to London then, I thought it was going to shave time off?

Edited by HeHasRisen

When train journeys & train routes improve to the level that they appear in the adverts, then I'll believed they've improved. 

Let's face it, it's the 21st century & London is 150 miles away.  An express train with limited stops at mainline stations should take 90 mins from Sheffield Midland. 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Martin C said:

The proposed timings (obviously subject to adjustment/flexing as the plan develops) are apparently as follows:-

It takes 10 minutes long to do the Sheffield-Retford...Retford-Sheffield going uphill than going down hill. Some of the other times look a bit strange  I suspect this timing is a first estimate and will depend on route availability when we get nearer to the actual date. 

4 hours ago, Martin C said:

Thank you Martin. Interesting. That's longer than the fastest EMR service but still a good travel time. Four departures per day may suggest that they would use the current Hull Trains Rolling stock perhaps, by using them more intensively. I believe they have 5 IETs but I am not au fait completely with their exact amount of units. This could mean less doubled Hull - King's Cross units (10 car) but the additional services to/from Retford should mitigate capacity issues. 

21 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Thank you Martin. Interesting. That's longer than the fastest EMR service but still a good travel time. Four departures per day may suggest that they would use the current Hull Trains Rolling stock perhaps, by using them more intensively. I believe they have 5 IETs but I am not au fait completely with their exact amount of units. This could mean less doubled Hull - King's Cross units (10 car) but the additional services to/from Retford should mitigate capacity issues. 

Oh dear. Once again the railway “expert” shows a complete lack of operational nous.

There are only 2 departures each way per day not 4. 
Also as the services from Hull and Sheffield meet for the first and only time at Retford capacity issues don’t come into it since they both run non stop between Retford and Kings Cross to avoid revenue extraction from the established operator.

4 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Oh dear. Once again the railway “expert” shows a complete lack of operational nous.

There are only 2 departures each way per day not 4. 
Also as the services from Hull and Sheffield meet for the first and only time at Retford capacity issues don’t come into it since they both run non stop between Retford and Kings Cross to avoid revenue extraction from the established operator.

Nice try, pet.

According to Martin's information, there are 4 departures, 2 southbound and 2 northbound.

Yes, I do know how Open Access operators work. I was talking about capacity in terms of being less able to use double units, as they currently do on some services to/from Hull when times call for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martin C said:

The same source suggested that the proposal was based on using 221/222 stock (Voyagers/Meridians) - subject of course to release by Avanti/East Midlands Railway.

Having worked Meridians, I can say they are very nice trains indeed for crew and passengers alike. EMR are having some teething problems with testing of their new Hitachi trains and introduction estimates keep getting pushed back, the latest figure I heard was 2025. If the timings with Hull Trains align right with Meridians coming off lease, that would be splendid. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martin C said:

The same source suggested that the proposal was based on using 221/222 stock (Voyagers/Meridians) - subject of course to release by Avanti/East Midlands Railway.

Same as the proposed new Edinburgh-Cardiff service. Doesn’t look good does it, using 20 year old refurbished diesel units on long stretches of electrified railway.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Same as the proposed new Edinburgh-Cardiff service. Doesn’t look good does it, using 20 year old refurbished diesel units on long stretches of electrified railway.

The units proposed, Bombardier Voyagers are some of the most reliable units on the network. Well built, 125mph capable, catering facilities, first class facilities and triple glazing in the cabin windows. Perfect long distance trains. 

• Like 1