New Train Route To London.

On 05/01/2024 at 22:43, Vrsaljko said:

As you say, you can already get to London in 2 hours 5 minutes which is pretty decent. Is there really any need to try and improve on that when they will only be able to shave 10-15 minutes off the journey time?

A decent train would certainly be an advantage and who knows perhaps better customer service but of course 2 trains a day is not going to make a big impact 

21 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

It would be good, too, were there to be a stop north of Kings Cross but within the London Underground network.

Coaches from Sheffield to London serve Golders Green and [alighting only, without 'hold' baggage] Marble Arch.

Why it will add to journey time and most people likely to be heading to central London 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2024 at 06:16, Irene Swaine said:

Having worked Meridians, I can say they are very nice trains indeed for crew and passengers alike. EMR are having some teething problems with testing of their new Hitachi trains and introduction estimates keep getting pushed back, the latest figure I heard was 2025. If the timings with Hull Trains align right with Meridians coming off lease, that would be splendid. 

Meridians are not great

On 09/01/2024 at 00:54, busdriver1 said:

A 20 year old Diesel will have plenty useful life left in it. Dont judge train ages by car or bus ages

Agree a refurbished old train can (not will) be more than acceptable 

7 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Meridians are not great

I have never worked one that failed, (when the train failed, I got the rest of the day off or atleast part of it). Reliable trains and well designed. Those and Voyagers are the best trains on the network IMO. 

33 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I have never worked one that failed, (when the train failed, I got the rest of the day off or atleast part of it). Reliable trains and well designed. Those and Voyagers are the best trains on the network IMO. 

Reliable (mostly) yes.  Not particularly well-designed though - very inefficient use of space (and resultant low passenger capacity compared to trains of similar length). Too short as well - no way should 4 car 220/221 trains be operating on the busy Bristol (originating further afield in Devon/Cornwall) to Newcastle/Scotland route. I know they sometimes run with two units, but that vastly inflates staffing costs.  Five coach 222s on the Midland Main Line are clearly inadequate at anything other than the quietest times.

I actually quite like the Voyagers/Meridians but there are many many issues as currently deployed.

Just now, Martin C said:

no way should 4 car 220/221 trains be operating on the busy Bristol (originating further afield in Devon/Cornwall) to Newcastle/Scotland

To be fair, I always travel First Class with CrossCountry, so rarely have to stand. 😋

1 minute ago, Martin C said:

Five coach 222s on the Midland Main Line are clearly inadequate at anything other than the quietest times.

They usually work alright in all honesty. The only train I struggled to get my trolley down was the 05:30 to Saint Pancras, that got busy after Wellingborough but that was an 8 coach HST. The other one was the 19:01 from Saint Pancras to Sheffield, which was usually a 9 coach (4 car plus 5 car) Meridian. That was because it was the first northbound train where Off Peak tickets were valid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Talking about passenger experience not reliability 

2 hours ago, Martin C said:

Reliable (mostly) yes.  Not particularly well-designed though - very inefficient use of space (and resultant low passenger capacity compared to trains of similar length). Too short as well - no way should 4 car 220/221 trains be operating on the busy Bristol (originating further afield in Devon/Cornwall) to Newcastle/Scotland route. I know they sometimes run with two units, but that vastly inflates staffing costs.  Five coach 222s on the Midland Main Line are clearly inadequate at anything other than the quietest times.

I actually quite like the Voyagers/Meridians but there are many many issues as currently deployed.

I would doubt it vastly increases staffing costs but that is irrelevant as how many extra passengers do you think it would cost to pay for any extra staff . The problem with multiple units they are fixed formations and we saw how Beardy held the government to ransom over lengthening the Pendelinos because he was not concerned about overcrowding.

20 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Talking about passenger experience not reliability 

9 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Passenger experience is premium in both First and Standard accomodation. The seats are comfortable with good leg room, every bay of seats has a plug socket for the businessman to use his laptop, a full size kitchen for First Class breakfasts and buffet with freezer for customers to have a G&T with ice. Cool trains in summer and warm in winter as they are temperature set each day at the depot based on the weather forecast. The trains are smooth, quiet and disabled person friendly. The 7 coach ones cope well with large crowds and the 5 coach ones accommodate people nicely from quieter stations. They offer a pleasant, comfortable and enjoyable journey and were designed in partnership with onboard teams, which is why they have features such as foot operated doors for when crews are carrying trays and ample litter disposal in the galley. 

The new electric trains that LNER have don't compare.

11 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

would doubt it vastly increases staffing costs but that is irrelevant as how many extra passengers do you think it would cost to pay for any extra staff .

A double set requires the duplication of a Train Manager, First Class Host(s), Retail Host and Revenue Protection Officer on services scheduled for full revenue checks. People are expensive to supply, when you consider pensions, holiday pay, sick pay etc. 

Edited by Irene Swaine
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Passenger experience is premium in both First and Standard accomodation. The seats are comfortable with good leg room, every bay of seats has a plug socket for the businessman to use his laptop, a full size kitchen for First Class breakfasts and buffet with freezer for customers to have a G&T with ice. Cool trains in summer and warm in winter as they are temperature set each day at the depot based on the weather forecast. The trains are smooth, quiet and disabled person friendly. The 7 coach ones cope well with large crowds and the 5 coach ones accommodate people nicely from quieter stations. They offer a pleasant, comfortable and enjoyable journey and were designed in partnership with onboard teams, which is why they have features such as foot operated doors for when crews are carrying trays and ample litter disposal in the galley. 

A double set requires the duplication of a Train Manager, First Class Host(s), Retail Host and Revenue Protection Officer on services scheduled for full revenue checks. People are expensive to supply, when you consider pensions, holiday pay, sick pay etc. 

Edit to add: Some platforms can only accommodate 4 coaches, such as Long Eaton. If you have a 2x5 car double set, the customers in the rear set will not be able to alight at Long Eaton. You would be surprised that no matter how many times people are told front train only for such a place, people still end up travelling in the wrong part of the train and missing their stop.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Have you been on TPE when two units are combined they have just one trolley dolly in the front portion, one train manager for the whole train and revenue protection officer usually works one unit and moves to the other

what is the cost of a trolley dolly as presumably they will sell twice as much with two and how many passengers do you need to cover the cost of a days wages