Dvsa In Sheffield.

2 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

So all cars clamped are untaxed? Hardly a definitive indicator. Point I was making was do they put a notice on the windscreen etc?  I know what SORN is too and thats my point of that IF the people have SORN'd their car but left it on the road and NOT on private land then does the same apply?

The big yellow windscreen sticker stating it's not taxed & the big yellow clamp with DVSA written on it on the wheel. 

If you SORN a car and leave it on the road you're getting clamped for no tax. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

So all cars clamped are untaxed? Hardly a definitive indicator. Point I was making was do they put a notice on the windscreen etc?  I know what SORN is too and thats my point of that IF the people have SORN'd their car but left it on the road and NOT on private land then does the same apply?

Yes, because a SORN'd vehicle is by definition untaxed, and should not be on the public highway.

• Like 2

And thats all I was asking cos I didn't know!  Didn't need a sarcastic reply assuming I should know all cars on a road being clamped would be untaxed.  At no point did anyone say there was a big yellow sticker. I asked that question.

15 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

And thats all I was asking cos I didn't know!  Didn't need a sarcastic reply assuming I should know all cars on a road being clamped would be untaxed.  At no point did anyone say there was a big yellow sticker. I asked that question.

Post 5 mentions a sticker but not a colour.

4 hours ago, Andy_terrier said:

Just wondering how you know they weren't taxed? You don't have to display a tax disc any more - was there a notice on them?  What do the DVSA do for SORN cars on the road?

There is a Gov.uk website where you can type in a reg number, check that it is the car you saw, and it tells you whether that car is taxed or not and whether it has an MoT. You can then report it...ANONYMOUSLY !  They ask Questions about where and when etc but I can tell you from experience it works.  I think many of the cars you see parked on verges etc with For Sale in the window will often show up as being SORNed...very naughty, cos, as is pointed out above, no tax, no insurance !

See   https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

They've been busy round us too, can see one parked outside flats down the road, and spotted another one as we went up Blackstock Road earlier, massive DVLA stickers on the wheel clamps

Not a million miles from City Road, probably did a full blanket of the area, multiple enforcement vans. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, geared said:

Often slap a big sticker on it don't they?  "Clamped for no Tax" or something similar.  

They like to pop round Meadowhall and do a bunch there on occasion.

I am not defending uninsured vehicles or ones with no MOT but as Meadowhall is private property, the vehicle is technically not on the public roads, so I don't see how they can prove an offence has been committed.