School Trips

Thanks for your great responses, I wonder if the Education Authority chartered complete trains from BR. I remember on my London trip being disappointed as we had been told we would have a ride on the Northern Line under the Thames, but we ran out of time! Even back then I was a complete train nut, and on the way back to Sheffield photographed a Metropolitan Railway electric loco No.13 Dick Whittington as our train overtook it 🙂. Happy carefree days.

I went on a school trip to London with All Saints Junior School, Pitsmoor mid 50s. We had to bring a shilling a week to save for it.
We saw the Crown Jewels etc, but I mostly remember it for the headmaster Mr Hall clouting one of the lads because he’d put a tanner in a milk vending machine as we came out of a restaurant. I think it was a tetra pack and it flew out of his hand and burst on the pavement. Twenty odd kids stood there with open mouths, lol.

8 hours ago, carosio said:

We did a visit to Neepsend Gas Works, if that counts! Organized by the science teacher. Also remember a class visit to York Minster.

We too had the same gas works visit ( I remember climbing up the curved ladders around the gasometer!) also visiting Sheffield Corporation printing works and a talk about working in a steel producing plant. That was the sum total of our ‘careers advice’!

On a more positive note I recall a London trip from primary school and two holidays abroad in Belgium and Switzerland when in the last years at secondary school.

echo.

Ps. I never took up working in the steel or printing industries or producing gas , except when I’ve eaten loads of beans!😀

Edited by echo beach

went on school trip from jordanthorpe school to germany in the 60s and went to gunstones we all got a free loaf and told it was good wages for a deliver lad but only until 18 ,so work hard ,went to ladybower under the arches if i recall correctly ,also went to the england wembley match that was great,also swimming lessons at broadfield road from junior school at greenhill ,

Coblenz in Germany.The night ferry,sleeping  (or not) on wooden slatted benches.Being sick on the crossing,buying a replica Lugar cigarrette kighter,and all of this only a few years after the end of world war 2!!

I remember 2 school trips from Ecclesfield comprehensive.

First was a "day" trip to London, turned into a 2 day trip after several pupils were arrested for shop lifting on Carnaby street.

Second was outward bound course in Castleton probably a 3 nighter. I was in charge of making lunch one day and I'm still apologising for what happened to the sandwiches !

• Haha 1

I was at Hucklow Rd 1955-56 & we had a weeks  school trip to Middlekerk in Belgium  & visited Brussels & Ghent. Our woodwork teacher George Ridgeway arranged that.   I   ( & all secondary teachers & pupils from Hucklow Rd) went to Hinde House when it was opened in September   1956-1960 . Remember a school trip to Stratford on Avon to see King Lear & another to see Macbeth. with our English teacher Geoff Hook.  Also I think we had a trip to Peter Scott's  Nature Reserve at Slimbridge.  Anybody else from Hinde House have any memories of those trips?

On 10/01/2024 at 20:28, badab1ng said:

I remember 2 school trips from Ecclesfield comprehensive.

First was a "day" trip to London, turned into a 2 day trip after several pupils were arrested for shop lifting on Carnaby street.

Second was outward bound course in Castleton probably a 3 nighter. I was in charge of making lunch one day and I'm still apologising for what happened to the sandwiches !

I suspect the Outward Bound style course you refer to was to Hollowford at Castleton which was a joint venture between Sheffield Industrial Mission, Education  Authority  & Industry I think. I went there for a week in  1961 being sent by English Steel Corp. The Warden was Rev Keith Pound a guitar playing vicar who went on to be Chaplain General to the Prison Service & an honorary Chaplain  to the Queen. I remember going climbing on Stanage Edge the climb being Tango Crack.  I also remember nearly being blown off Mam Tor in a gust of wind when I was wearing a cycling cape. Thankfully someone grabbed me & pulled me back . I never wore a cycling cape for walking again!!

• Like 1