Rip Hallam Fm

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Martin Kelner's night time show was brilliant.  You can still hear him at weekends on Talksport radio. 

But let's not forget the late, great & unique Roger Moffat.  What a legend. 

I wonder if he ever got his wish to have his ashes scattered from a plane over 'Royal Hackenthorpe'? 

Hallam lost its way when it was swallowed up & became part of a larger group of commercial stations, all playing the same playlist. 

used to be a manager of a shop and the boss sent there rep for me to sort out a advert ,i decided as i loved ROGER MOFFAT that much ,i got him to do it ,he was not allowed to say it was him,but everone knew it was ,fantastic results ,good job though as i had not told the boss it was a extra £50 ,so he let me off that one ,remember the ELVIS stuffed in a cupboard saga ,and the irish man and his black eye saga ,but someone once said he was a DJ but he said no he was a radio presenter ,he worked previously for the BBC until the sea weather forcast saga.he kept all ships in the harbours i heard .

• Haha 1

Hallam was great back in the 70's and 80's but awful now and has been for some years. A mixture of adverts, mindless childish drivel and samey autotune  music that soundslike someone building a shed. 

5 hours ago, francypants said:

He was brilliant  ............   used to have me in stitches,  especially his hatred of the record   Black Betty by Ram Jam.   Thanks Roger.P

I remember Moffat getting into bother with SCC for repainting an old fashioned, iron lamp post on Brincliffe Edge Road, (its still there, I pass it most days & still think about it), because he didn't like the bog standard council green colour, so he painted it red, white & blue. 

Other presenters that spring to mind, Ray Stuart & Keith Skues.  In its hayday, Hallam was a decent alternative to Radio Sheffield. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

I guess it's sad like the it's the end of an era -  but not a real surprise these days.

It's not properly been local for decades. We all know it's part of a big national network and even used to switch between stations if there was fault. Some of the biggest shows have been networked from Manchester or London and I think for years the only 'local' thing has been a news feed and the breakfast program.

I haven't listened to it properly for a long time and most people I know couldn't care less about local radio just like they couldn't care about local television.  With the advent of digital radio, streaming on a phone and podcasting what people listen to in their cars these days is pretty much their own choice on demand. Don't even really need to be tuning in for local traffic as my car's sat nav does that for me.

Its all about the commerciality these days, so having a unified brand across the country is a logical step in that.  The only real local radio service in big cities is the BBC or to be fair some of the very very niche community stations which have their own selective but dedicated followers. 

That's pretty much it really.  If you want to make money in broadcasting in 2024 it's got to big national and online.

47 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

That's pretty much it really.  If you want to make money in broadcasting in 2024 it's got to big national and online.

Pretty much this, sadly. People bemoan the demise of the likes of Thames Television and all the other local ITV regions that got swallowed up by mergers in the 90s and 00s but as you say, they wouldn't have survived in this day and age. 

Looking at it, it was a bit insane. Massive studio complexes everywhere. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

The BBC will be next

The TV license gravy train is coming to a shuddering halt so local radio will be the first to face the chop 

And then local news TV like Look North 

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 3

This is basically the plot of Alpha Papa the Alan Partridge movie where  the corporate suits upstairs wanted to rebrand  North Norfolk Digital  to Shape FM.....

Art imitating real life.

"Shape. ..The way you want it to be...."

I recall all those at Radio Hallam (as-was):

Roger Moffatt.  A once professional and respected broadcaster, sadly the drink and his erratic behaviour led to his downfall in latter years.

Ray Stuart.  Sadly the drink and his erratic behaviour led to his downfall in latter years.

Kelly Temple.  An egotist.

And, before any 'fans' of the above wish to ask, yes, I met them in a professional capacity.