Why Is It So Light Outside (10/1/24 23:00)

Somewhere in the east end has a big job on, there's been a hammer going for a couple of days now, but west of us is Parkwood. It was unusually light with a soft orange/pink glow last night long after sunset. Maybe just some odd meteorological phenomenon. 

I was up about 5:45 this morning, and my kitchen window faces North and there was an orange glow in the sky.  I just assumed it was sunrise, but the orange glow wasn't on the horizon, just behind grey clouds.... 

Hmmm. Paranormal? Sounds spooky indeed. It wouldn't be the first time strange things have been seen in the sky over Sheffield. In 1997, there was a UFO sighting over Endcliffe Park.

Oh the other hand, it could be from emergency road works lights or perhaps a factory is having a gas leak rectified and the flood lights are beaming in to the sky. 

I do know there is a permanent yellow glow over the Highfield area because of the Bramall Lane stadium lights at night. But that is the opposite direction to these reports. 

@Mister M Can you still see anything strange out of your kitchen window now?

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Hmmm. Paranormal? Sounds spooky indeed. It wouldn't be the first time strange things have been seen in the sky over Sheffield. In 1997, there was a UFO sighting over Endcliffe Park.

Oh the other hand, it could be from emergency road works lights or perhaps a factory is having a gas leak rectified and the flood lights are beaming in to the sky. 

I do know there is a permanent yellow glow over the Highfield area because of the Bramall Lane stadium lights at night. But that is the opposite direction to these reports. 

@Mister M Can you still see anything strange out of your kitchen window now?

No I walk to work, and my journey is southwards - so I couldn't see if it was still there. It isn't now.

The orange glow looked like those old fashioned sodium street lights. My kitchen window looks onto the old ski village

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1