If You Had To Retake Your Driving Test Tomorrow.

How confident are you you'd pass? I'm a careful driver so I like to think I'd do fine on most of it, but my parallel parking skills aren't what they were and I heard you only get one shot at that on your test? Whereas I used to be able to nail it in one on a narrow London street with some chuff honking me, it now takes me between one and three goes. And that's if I passed the theory test, which is debatable.

I’m pretty sure that the theory test would prove more of a problem without a fair bit of revision than driving but when all is said and done,just like my original test you just need reasonable competence and a fair set of circumstances for an hour or so of the test.

The three speed awareness courses that I have attended might come in handy😁

Edited by RJRB

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

How confident are you you'd pass? I'm a careful driver so I like to think I'd do fine on most of it, but my parallel parking skills aren't what they were and I heard you only get one shot at that on your test? Whereas I used to be able to nail it in one on a narrow London street with some chuff honking me, it now takes me between one and three goes. And that's if I passed the theory test, which is debatable.

I don’t think I would pass. It’s these flippin E scooters, and bycicles that make it harder now.

I think that I’m experienced enough to pass after 60 plus years on the road.

I’d have to swat up on the theory part though and remember not to cross my hands on the steering wheel or hold the car on the clutch on a hill and, of course, stick to the speed limit. They don’t call me ‘hell’s granddad’ for nothing!

I’d insist on taking it in a car with a manual gearbox, preferably an original Mini; none of these massive automatic  ‘Chelsea Tractors’ for me!

Oh, and I’d have to get used to doing hand signals again.

Apart from that it would be a breeze or does that come from the hole in the floor of my 1959 Moggie Minor!😀

echo.

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Motorcycle test was easy.

All you had to do was know which shop door-way the examiner was hiding in  away from the weather. ⛈️.

Took mine at the Sitwell Road office in Sharrow. I could see his trilby hat poking out above a parked car about 50 yards away, so the emergency stop was easy, well as good as the Ariel Arrow brakes were!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I don’t think I would pass. It’s these flippin E scooters, and bycicles that make it harder now.

I initially read that as you thinking bicycles were new and thought 'chuffin eck, how old is she?' 😁

90% of people would fail, easily.  Especially if we're talking doing both the theory and practical side.  Anyone that tells you they'd pass first time without issue is a liar or an idiot.

The only people you could confidently say should pass are driving instructors and driving examiners.  

2 hours ago, geared said:

90% of people would fail, easily.  Especially if we're talking doing both the theory and practical side.  Anyone that tells you they'd pass first time without issue is a liar or an idiot.

The only people you could confidently say should pass are driving instructors and driving examiners.  

With the current poor standard of driving it looks to me as though most motorists have never been taught properly or even passed a test.

It’s fortunate geared that you and me are in the 10%!😀

echo.

Edited by echo beach