If You Had To Retake Your Driving Test Tomorrow.

20 hours ago, Longcol said:

Wouldn't want a l/h drive car back in England - when I come back I see more traffic on the M27 between Portsmouth docks and M3 turnoff by Southampton - about 20 miles -  than I do in the 400 mile journey from home to the boat from Caen in Normandy

There is so much traffic on our roads now.  Nearly every time I drive to Sheffield on the A1 there is a sign saying overnight closures after 8 pm until 6 am then giving out the junction numbers because they need to do essential maintenance. It doesn’t always affect me but on a number of occasions I have had to come off the motorway and I have got lost trying to find my way back on the A1 the odd time when it is dark. I’m sure the motorways are unable to cope with the amount of traffic and need constant repair. I bet you don’t have the same problem in France.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 19:33, Organgrinder said:

How did I know that,  sooner or later,   you were going to say exactly that ?

Because you know I make excellent contributions.  Anyone driving who does not think they could pass the driving test again tomorrow should immediately stop driving and use public transport.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Axe said:

Because you know I make excellent contributions.  Anyone driving who does not think they could pass the driving test again tomorrow should immediately stop driving and use public transport.

OK! Reginald Bosenquet.  :hihi:

8 minutes ago, Axe said:

You are confused again. Not the newsreader.

Yes admittedly I was confused, that is the reaction I suffer on reading your post, I end up like Inspector Dreyfus (Herbert Lom ) of the French Surete. :gag:

Edited by PRESLEY

16 hours ago, hauxwell said:

There is so much traffic on our roads now.  Nearly every time I drive to Sheffield on the A1 there is a sign saying overnight closures after 8 pm until 6 am then giving out the junction numbers because they need to do essential maintenance. It doesn’t always affect me but on a number of occasions I have had to come off the motorway and I have got lost trying to find my way back on the A1 the odd time when it is dark. I’m sure the motorways are unable to cope with the amount of traffic and need constant repair. I bet you don’t have the same problem in France.

Agree with the excessive volume of traffic hauxwell and the road closures which are the same on the M62.

France is a much bigger country with roughly the same population as the UK and I think the French motorways are toll roads as they are in Spain.

A few years ago I drove from northern Italy through Switzerland (where you have to buy a temporary road licence to use their roads as you do in Austria) and back to England on the ordinary roads without touching a motorway. It took a couple of organised stops however; one in Interlaken and the other in Reims. So if you want to travel fast you pay for the privilege otherwise take your time.

Over here our roads are free to all comers. Perhaps we should adopt some of the practices of these other countries.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

5 hours ago, echo beach said:

Agree with the excessive volume of traffic hauxwell and the road closures which are the same on the M62.

France is a much bigger country with roughly the same population as the UK and I think the French motorways are toll roads as they are in Spain.

A few years ago I drove from northern Italy through Switzerland (where you have to buy a temporary road licence to use their roads as you do in Austria) and back to England on the ordinary roads without touching a motorway. It took a couple of organised stops however; one in Interlaken and the other in Reims. So if you want to travel fast you pay for the privilege otherwise take your time.

Over here our roads are free to all comers. Perhaps we should adopt some of the practices of these other countries.

echo.

I have no idea if we charge foreign hauliers to use UK motorways but if not it might be a good idea to make them pay a toll, especially if UK lorries have to pay to use roads in Europe.

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I have no idea if we charge foreign hauliers to use UK motorways but if not it might be a good idea to make them pay a toll, especially if UK lorries have to pay to use roads in Europe.

Think every vehicle which comes over here from abroad travels on our roads for free.

They only pay tax if and when they buy fuel.

In many situations our roads are in a terrible state and who pays for those to be repaired, we do.

Having said that Corfu has roads in  a far worse condition than ours. It really is like driving a dodgem car over there.

echo.