If You Had To Retake Your Driving Test Tomorrow.

23 hours ago, Axe said:

Because you know I make excellent contributions.  Anyone driving who does not think they could pass the driving test again tomorrow should immediately stop driving and use public transport.

Can see why you call yourself Axe, or book an hour with a driving instructor to do a refresher

13 hours ago, echo beach said:

Think every vehicle which comes over here from abroad travels on our roads for free.

They only pay tax if and when they buy fuel.

In many situations our roads are in a terrible state and who pays for those to be repaired, we do.

Having said that Corfu has roads in  a far worse condition than ours. It really is like driving a dodgem car over there.

echo.

You're wrong. HGV road user levy:

Non UK HGVs must pay the levy before they enter the UK.

4 hours ago, Findlay said:

Can see why you call yourself Axe, or book an hour with a driving instructor to do a refresher

Axe-Wound is more likely. (Urban dictionary. Look it up.)

I hold professional driving qualifications including but not limited to IAM Advanced and doubt that I'd pass a test today in either category. 

This does not mean by any means that I drive poorly. The issue is that driving lesson teach you to pass the test and the test only, which is a MINIMUM standard.

Personally in the UK I don't think we do enough driver training before being allowed to test & think we should ban intensive courses and set a minimum hours, 45-52, and make it so you cannot apply for your practical test until a year after your first lesson so that you're likely to have experienced all weather conditions. Skid-pan training should also be introduced. 

Edited by Resident

54 minutes ago, Resident said:

Axe-Wound is more likely. (Urban dictionary. Look it up.)

I hold professional driving qualifications including but not limited to IAM Advanced and doubt that I'd pass a test today in either category. 

This does not mean by any means that I drive poorly. The issue is that driving lesson teach you to pass the test and the test only, which is a MINIMUM standard.

Personally in the UK I don't think we do enough driver training before being allowed to test & think we should ban intensive courses and set a minimum hours, 45-52, and make it so you cannot apply for your practical test until a year after your first lesson so that you're likely to have experienced all weather conditions. Skid-pan training should also be introduced. 

Agree Resident. Particularly if it improved the current standard of driving.

I’ve always been an advocate of 5 or 10 yearly re-testing although I appreciate the logical and practical difficulties. Fail and you’d be required to display a green P, just as newly passed drivers should have to do for 6 months after passing.

I passed my test ten weeks after my 17th birthday and after ten lessons and a lot of practice in my father’s Austin A55. That was followed by driving every day on other than A roads from Sheffield to Chesterfield in the horrendous 1962/63 winter. I learned a lot about driving in those three months!

When I was 21 I had a p/t job teaching at a driving school and have had a session on a police skid pan but never took the IAM course and test.

I’d be willing to be re-tested tomorrow if asked.😀

echo.

6 hours ago, Findlay said:

There are too many drivers on the road.  We need to get rid of the bad incompetent drivers.  Refresher courses is not the answer. We need to have a zero tolerance to incompetent drivers.  The way forward is to allow new drivers only one attempt at passing the driving test.  One failure should mean banned for life for driving on public roads. 

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

There are too many drivers on the road.  We need to get rid of the bad incompetent drivers.  Refresher courses is not the answer. We need to have a zero tolerance to incompetent drivers.  The way forward is to allow new drivers only one attempt at passing the driving test.  One failure should mean banned for life for driving on public roads. 

That’s far too lenient. They surely should be hanged in Edinburgh, drawn through Cardiff and quartered in London.😀 That’d teach ‘em to fail!

echo.

When I leave the A1 link road at Leeds to go on the M1 four lane smart motorway driving towards Sheffield,  it’s surprising how many drivers don’t use the inside lane. 

They stick to the second lane even when cars are overtaking them in the inside lane.
Having said that I don’t like the smart motorway.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Those that drive in the middle lane of the motorway when the slow lane is completely free should be strung up in public and have 24 hours of rotten eggs chucked at them.

Those that drive in the middle lane who go into the 'Slow Lane', when they know farewell , they're  going to have to pull back out  because there is a slower moving lorry ahead can't read the road and are worse than the hoggers 

The middle lane is for those with forward thinking 8)

Keep safe.

Edited by Rockers rule
spelling Ooooop's!