Uk Electricity Generation, Should We Be Worried.

13 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

I look at those generation figures a lot winter time when there's no wind (sad perhaps, but i find it interesting) and I have never seen gas use that high, I didn't really believe we had that much.

Bookmark this site as well; it gives quite a good representation of what is likely the dame basic data.
Hover your cursor over each dial for a simple explanation.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/index.php

There are thousands of homes that now have pv & wind batteries which are self sufficient and only need grid power to turn the meters over. 
Installations are becoming self funding in 6-9 years with a grid in tariff of 15p/KW
https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing-faqs/#:~:text=sell your electricity at a flat unit price of 15p per kWh

A Tesla travelling 100 miles/day will need 25KW so a 6 kw system will charge the car in 4 hours.

We should be worried -it all boils down to the fact that succssive Govt's ( no matter who is in power ) have had no coherent energy policy . Even now there is no joined up thinking . We get warnings from the National Grid about potential power cuts this winter but at the same time the goverment is pushing electric vehicles

Surely who ever was in charge must have had the common sense to realise that if you close down gas/ coal fired power stations you have to have a replacement that not only generates the same output but inceased output for future consumption but we get the politicians we deserve

5 minutes ago, Findlay said:

There are thousands of homes that now have pv & wind batteries which are self sufficient and only need grid power to turn the meters over. 
Installations are becoming self funding in 6-9 years with a grid in tariff of 15p/KW
https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing-faqs/#:~:text=sell your electricity at a flat unit price of 15p per kWh

A Tesla travelling 100 miles/day will need 25KW so a 6 kw system will charge the car in 4 hours.

If it doesn't catch fire . Also a Tesla going up Hagg Hill will use 40 miles worth of power

1 hour ago, Findlay said:

Same problem as the nation, lack of wind and sunshine - that's when those people unless they have a nuclear generator in their shed turn back to the good old grid to bail them out.

It would need some heavy battery power to carry an average home - all electric, in the wintertime through four days or longer. Then need to have surplus to charge back up and power everything even without an electric car, which one would usually expect to be charged overnight when there's no sun.

With lights, heating, demisting and lower efficiency an electric car drops to nearer 1km per kwh in the winter time.

Look at the solar power generation in uk wintertime  https://www.solar.sheffield.ac.uk/pvlive/  I think it's good so long as it isn't taking agricultural land but not much of a solution for present living habits. Anyone who live off grid, boat or camper adapt to it, usually using other fuel sources for heating and cooking. Sticking a big windmill in the garden don't go down too well with the neighbours.

Edited by Arthur Ritus

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Annie Bynnol- doesn't really answer the quoted post, does it?

Failure and inaction of Government to maintain appropriate long and short term capacity has led to a great deal of criticism.  This criticism has been converted into "...the doomsday scenario..." in the media you read. 

36 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Failure and inaction of Government to maintain appropriate long and short term capacity has led to a great deal of criticism.  This criticism has been converted into "...the doomsday scenario..." in the media you read. 

I don't read this media created hysteria - but others may.

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

How then are you aware and able to describe this as "...media created hysteria..."? 

Well, I assume it is in the media, and so far, I haven't heard of any major catastrophies, so I assume that, as usual, it is the usual poor reporting that has got people 'worried'.