Virgin Money Fargate - Poor Uniform Standards

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's about respect. Respect for your profession and respect for your customers. And also, respect for yourself.

If you walk in to a board room in sportswear then you aren't going to have your authority taken seriously.

I do find your comparison with a cardiac consultant to be insolent. A heart surgeon obviously needs scrubs to perform operations, that doesn't explain why bank managers are going to work dressed as though they are about to do some weeding in the garden.

There seems to be an influx of laziness these days, especially amongst generation Z. They don't even speak in complete sentences and shorten words that don't need it e.g. they call an outfit a "fit". In my day, if someone was having a fit, you'd call ambulance for them. 

You would have gotten more respect from your employees when you wore a tie than now. Power dressing is important in business. It also shows that you have respect for yourself and your role. 

American English  !!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's about respect. Respect for your profession and respect for your customers. And also, respect for yourself.

If you walk in to a board room in sportswear then you aren't going to have your authority taken seriously.

I do find your comparison with a cardiac consultant to be insolent. A heart surgeon obviously needs scrubs to perform operations, that doesn't explain why bank managers are going to work dressed as though they are about to do some weeding in the garden.

There seems to be an influx of laziness these days, especially amongst generation Z. They don't even speak in complete sentences and shorten words that don't need it e.g. they call an outfit a "fit". In my day, if someone was having a fit, you'd call ambulance for them. 

You would have gotten more respect from your employees when you wore a tie than now. Power dressing is important in business. It also shows that you have respect for yourself and your role. 

Power dressing??? Are we going back to the 1980s, with everyone wearing shoulder pads, and carrying filofaxes 😃

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

"In my day".   You're still wet behind the ears or so you claim to be.  You talk about the Gen Z generation as if you are not part of it.

The world has moved on Grandma. Styles and taste and fashions changed.  Obsessions over power dressing were in decline while you were still a foetus.  I'd like to think that women are gaining more ways to advance themselves and gain respect beyond simply their bloody clothing.

There is an arguement that corporations are softening their image from the stiff shirt of uniforms because many people felt intimidated or out of place as if it's not for them to be entering or even simply outdated. 

Such establishments in the business world (even the archaic legal world) have changed.  Certainly outside the courtroom, there is more focus on company dress being tailored to more relaxed smart casual.  Clients want to feel relaxed and comfortable and that should be reflecting with who they are dealing with.

In other organisations, uniforms have become adapted to focus on a more modern style, modern image and practicality. For example, in many transport operations, uniform moved away from the traditional three piece suit, frock overcoat, peaked cap... to more comfortable and practical trouser/blazer, branded fleece, hi-viz branded short jackets.  Doesn't give the drivers or dispatchers or operations managers less respect or authority.  

In shops and stores, the tradition of often hideous company coloured patterned blouse/ skirt-suit combination forced on assistants are increasingly being replaced with employees wearing more comfortable and modern items which usually reflect the sort of stock that the store is selling and the type of goods that customers want to buy.

There is no automatic correlation between so-called traditional 'professional dress' and one's abilities. Most people look through simply the clothing these days and there is no guarantee that a stiff shirted suited bank manager with their bowler hat will do any better job than someone in their branded corporate trousers and polo shirt combo.

When you are running your business, you're not rocking up in whites and a toque are you?  Doesn't mean people think you are unprofessional does it?

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, zach said:

So, If you look smart and well dressed, you're more intelligent and better at your job?

Using your theory. If they wear a suit or pencil skirt, they are much better at their job than someone who dresses casually?

I must have a chat with my senior cardiac consultant...he wears scrubs! He must be useless because he hasn't got a suit and tie on!

How smart or intelligent do you need to be to spread marg on a slice of bread and chuck some plastic cheese on it? 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

When you are running your business, you're not rocking up in whites and a toque are you?  Doesn't mean people think you are unprofessional does it?

I wear chef whites whilst doing heavy food preparation and a smart skirt, shirt, cravat and blazer for serving. 

I would have thought being a lawyer, you'd appreciate the importance of making an effort with one's appearance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I wear chef whites whilst doing heavy food preparation and a smart skirt, shirt, cravat and blazer for serving. 

I would have thought being a lawyer, you'd appreciate the importance of making an effort with one's appearance.

Not particularly. Some of our best KCs and  senior expert consultants have baggy suits, scuffed shoes and when they are not in the courtroom are generally found in a big fleece or polo shirt with some casual trousers.  When they are spending their lives behind their desks to the small hours and buzzing around the country to courts, I won't expect them to be wasting time getting a perfect appearance as its their abilities on the floor that count.  

It is usually the ones with the absolutely perfect pressed suit, shiny shoes and pristine briefcase who are pointed out as being inexperienced or over compensating.  

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 3

If you go into the bank to get help with an issue then as long as the staff member is helpful does it matter how they are dressed. If your issue is resolved then it doesn't really matter if there in a suit or polo shirt.  Workplaces have become a lot more casual these days with dress code. I used to work for a Council and some people would be wearing 3 piece suits and there were some in jeans and a tshirt. I remember one person used to wear shorts.  They weren't to bothered about what you wore as long as it wasn't offensive and you got your work done. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I remember one person used to wear shorts.

I feel like Irene would probably spontaneously combust on the spot if a public-facing service provider approached her in shorts.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andy_terrier said:

I feel that society has moved on from the need to have a very formal uniform - but saying that I do like the thought of at least a corporate polo shirt/jumper with the name of the business and a name badge.  As much as I hate the place - the Apple shop does this and I think it helps with customers knowing who to talk to.  Capability should not be defined by your dress code...

Same with Tattoos.

Are you advocating corporate tattooing or abolishing them? :huh: