Virgin Money Fargate - Poor Uniform Standards

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

I feel like Irene would probably spontaneously combust on the spot if a public-facing service provider approached her in shorts.

I don't think they were dealing with the public. If they were it would have been via email/phone.

24 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Well it is going to be irrelevant the way things are going, they want us to use online banking rather than the branches. Every time I go in mine and need to see someone I am always asked do you do online banking and we can show you how to set it all up. 

My bank closed the last branch in one of the adjacent villages last summer.  From what I can tell my county now has three proper branches: one in the city centre, one north of the city centre and one in a town on the other side of the county.  Other locations have 'local branches' which essentially offer only banking advice (like how to manage your money or how to deal with online banking), and 'hubs', where apparently multiple banks provide an access point for business transactions.

I find online banking and the app useful, but if you have an issue that needs human interaction beyond the basic algorithm/script-governed telephone staff, it can be a pain in the arse to deal with, with people from all over the county streaming to the main city centre branch.

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I don't think they were dealing with the public. If they were it would have been via email/phone.

It's still not a good look when potential business partners or clients come to the offices for a meeting/look around.

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I feel like Irene would probably spontaneously combust on the spot if a public-facing service provider approached her in shorts.

Lots of bus drivers wear shorts in the summer

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's still not a good look when potential business partners or clients come to the offices for a meeting/look around.

Say who?

The world has moved on during your "28 or so years" on this planet.  It really isn't such a shock to see people dress more casual in office settings these days.  Even more so if the staff concerned are not customer facing. 

God sake, BT got rid of their strict formal dress codes for operators and non customer facing roles by the 90s.  Dress down Fridays have been a concept in the corporate world for at least two decades and pretty much for the past 5 years the entire corporate sector has become smart casual as default.

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I was sat on the now shamefully defunct bus stop bench on Leopold Street. I looked in to the window of Virgin Money. The uniform the staff were wearing was a disgrace. It was trainers, jeans and a striped jumper....for work in a bank! It's an insult to the profession and a very poor image for the customer. Other banks in the area such as Lloyd's still have high standards of uniform, suit, trousers, pencil skirt, tie for the men or a cravat for the ladies. 

Uniforms seem to be going in to a state of decline. It seems some no longer take pride in their business anymore (not the staff on the floor's fault, it comes from higher up). Is this all part of the woke agenda, having everybody looking slovenly? Miller & Carter are just around the corner on Surrey Street and they operate a strict dresscode. Interestingly, someone wearing the Virgin Money uniform would not meet the criteria of said dress code!

I would then respectfully suggest Irene, that perhaps Virgin Money isn’t the bank for you and take your business elsewhere to a more conservative bank.  Perhaps Virgin Money are pitching themselves more for the younger customers who prefer a less formal approach.  But then aren’t you 27?  I have to admit I’d have you down as being more than a tad older than that from some of your comments.

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I would then respectfully suggest Irene, that perhaps Virgin Money isn’t the bank for you and take your business elsewhere to a more conservative bank.  Perhaps Virgin Money are pitching themselves more for the younger customers who prefer a less formal approach.  But then aren’t you 27?  I have to admit I’d have you down as being more than a tad older than that from some of your comments.

Looks like our "twenty something" Irene might have another reason to ditch them.

https://www.gbnews.com/money/virgin-money-passbook-savings-account-axe

I mean we all know she is a complete technophobe with her love of all things analogue and cash only ways. Wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't got a passbook account too. 

58 minutes ago, pfifes said:

But then aren’t you 27?  I have to admit I’d have you down as being more than a tad older than that from some of your comments.

You are right. I am a tad older than that. I'm 28, I will be 29 this year. 

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

You would have gotten more respect from your employees when you wore a tie than now. Power dressing is important in business. It also shows that you have respect for yourself and your role. 

I disagree. 

I think if anything it’s come full circle and it looks a bit “try hard” in some cases - bit of a costume almost.

I think there’s a place for it in things like airlines and police and stuff where a role needs to be clearly identifiable to others.

I don’t think it makes much difference in the workplace now - times moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Looks like our "twenty something" Irene might have another reason to ditch them.

https://www.gbnews.com/money/virgin-money-passbook-savings-account-axe

I mean we all know she is a complete technophobe with her love of all things analogue and cash only ways. Wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't got a passbook account too. 

Any business that discourages use of cash deserves to be ditched. I don't bank with Virgin Money.