Rochdale Grooming

On 19/01/2024 at 09:54, Delbow said:

So you lied. Ok. I agree that there should be a full enquiry into Oldham, and the local council should, in my view, have indicated they were keen to have one, but only the government can set up a public enquiry, so surely the main question is why they have chosen not to - literally, they have prevented a full enquiry from taking place. 

I don't know, but I'm guessing the government is satisfied with the safeguarding reviews that have subsequently taken place. I get the impression that some people aren't happy that that review found no evidence of a cover up - that they want there to have been a cover up - but I don't understand why.

HMG were approached by Lib Dem and Tory members from Oldham Council but refused a public inquiry.

https://neilwilby.com/2022/09/08/safeguarding-minister-says-no/

“In relation to your request that the Government institute a public inquiry into the findings of
the Newsam and Ridgway reports, the Government continues to be clear that it is for the
local authorities in individual towns and cities, which are responsible for delivering local
services, to commission local inquiries. It is essential that local areas learn from what
happened in the past, and to take appropriate action to drive improvement in local
services."

Edited by Longcol

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

As if living in Oldham wasn't punishment enough!!

Retched place, on a par with Rochdale and Blackburn.

Some more prejudice.   Are they more  Wretched than any other place in the north ?

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Some more prejudice.   Are they more  Wretched than any other place in the north ?

Probably not, I reckong Bradford probably takes the top spot. 

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, much more, I will add Burnley to the list also.

Why is it prejudice to say some places are wretched?  Are you suggesting all towns and cities are exactly the same?

37 minutes ago, Resident said:

Probably not, I reckong Bradford probably takes the top spot. 

I don't mind Bradford, it's got a little bit of a buzz about it.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Yes, much more, I will add Burnley to the list also.

Why is it prejudice to say some places are wretched?  Are you suggesting all towns and cities are exactly the same?

I don't mind Bradford, it's got a little bit of a buzz about it.

In my experience Yes,  most Northern places are very much the same.

I might also say that whenever I complain about our "dead" city centre,   lots of posters argue against me that everywhere  else is the same as Sheffield.

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

In my experience Yes,  most Northern places are very much the same.

I might also say that whenever I complain about our "dead" city centre,   lots of posters argue against me that everywhere  else is the same as Sheffield.

How do you know this? 'In your own oft-repeated words 'I don't travel much'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

How do you know this? 'In your own oft-repeated words 'I don't travel much'.

I don't travel on planes and ships.    You can get to those places without being airborne or seaborne.

I also don't travel regularly,  weekly etc,   but that doesn't mean that I don't travel at all.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't travel on planes and ships.    You can get to those places without being airborne or seaborne.

I also don't travel regularly,  weekly etc,   but that doesn't mean that I don't travel at all.

Fair enough - I very rarely travel outside the UK these days too - but I do travel widely in the UK, and believe me, southern towns/cities have similar problems.