How Has The World Changed Since Covid?

7 hours ago, pfifes said:

I think we may be starting to turn a corner with attitudes to wealth disparity.  I hope so anyway.

I blame Thatcher.

And you'd be right to do so.

She and USA president Ronald Regan set a bomb under the World's Economy 40 years ago. It destablised the money markets and started a chain reaction that went round the world.

We are now experiencing the inevitable long term  result with a few very wealthy winners and millions of losers scratching around in the dirt trying to make ends meet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

And you'd be right to do so.

She and USA president Ronald Regan set a bomb under the World's Economy 40 years ago. It destablised the money markets and started a chain reaction that went round the world.

We are now experiencing the inevitable long term  result with a few very wealthy winners and millions of losers scratching around in the dirt trying to make ends meet. 

I didn't realise you lived in Mogadishu.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Got to have someone to blame in today's society, takes the pressure off not taking responsibility.

How about the rich taking some responsibility for a change.  For example, do you think Paula Vennells is a responsible person?  Or Michelle Mone? 

Or is it just poor people you are thinking of? 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I think you may have the wrong idea about what a third world country looks like these days.

Many have major modern centres with skyscrapers, modern shops, and all the modern facilities,  alongside slums and areas of serious deprivation. It's the level of the imbalance between the rich and poor which is is the measure.

Countries such as India and Nigeria for example have many billionaires with enormous wealth as well as people living in terrible poverty. As the rich grow richer and the poor poorer in several western countries they enter this field. 

Is France a third world country ? Germany , USA ?

29 minutes ago, pfifes said:

How about the rich taking some responsibility for a change.  For example, do you think Paula Vennells is a responsible person?  Or Michelle Mone? 

Or is it just poor people you are thinking of? 

Why should the rich take responsibility for others?

8 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Why should the rich take responsibility for others?

Because the rich have made their wealth off the backs of the workers.

Or by stealing the wealth and resources of other countries.  

Edited by Anna B

45 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Because the rich have made their wealth off the backs of the workers.

Or by stealing the wealth and resources of other countries.  

Good grief.

I can't even begin to get my head around your views.

49 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Good grief.

I can't even begin to get my head around your views.

Well, maybe it would be easier to understand by taking a specific example.  Let’s say the Post Office as that’s been in the news recently.  Do you think Paula Vennells deserved to enrich herself by destroying the lives of all those postmasters?  The Post Office falsely accused of theft and stole their life savings and homes and sent them to prison.  Some took their own lives.  Others had their health ruined.  Their money went into the Post Office coffers to swell their profits and the bigwigs to reward themselves.   Is that what you would call ‘being responsible’?  

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Well, maybe it would be easier to understand by taking a specific example.  Let’s say the Post Office as that’s been in the news recently.  Do you think Paula Vennells deserved to enrich herself by destroying the lives of all those postmasters?  The Post Office falsely accused of theft and stole their life savings and homes and sent them to prison.  Some took their own lives.  Others had their health ruined.  Their money went into the Post Office coffers to swell their profits and the bigwigs to reward themselves.   Is that what you would call ‘being responsible’?  

Of course not.

Are you suggesting that all rich people are the same as Ms Vennells?

It's always been an English problem, this bash the rich or slag someone who has a nice car or house.

Rather than consider how hard that person has worked or does work the narrative is to somehow be negative about them, it's a mentality that doesn't seem to exist in other countries, in my experience anyway.

It's just festering jealousy.   Buy a nice flash car and see how long it takes before some one keys it,

• Like 2