How Has The World Changed Since Covid?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I agree. I feel we're heading towards being a third world country... The disparity between rich and poor has never been greater, and poverty is creeping up the social scale.

:rolleyes: Third world country , really?

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

I personally describe it as more like going back to the so called ‘good old days’ of Victorian Britain.  

I blame Thatcher.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I agree. I feel we're heading towards being a third world country... The disparity between rich and poor has never been greater, and poverty is creeping up the social scale.

If we don’t stop the boats crossing  the English Channel the UK will definitely be heading towards a third world country.

14 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I think we may be starting to turn a corner with attitudes to wealth disparity.  I hope so anyway.

I blame Thatcher.

Until this anodyne comment, I had you down as a reasonable individual.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

People have the wrong priorties these days, people don't save.

..In our house we have cut back, we only take 6 holidays abroad each year

Even after paying your bills, private school fees etc....if you only have a spare £2000 left over each month, then save it, because by saving what little you have left you can afford the increases in everything.

If you save £24,000 every year then it doesn't matter if your heating bill goes up from £500 per year to £1200 per year because you can afford the cost increases

Edited by rogets

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

Is it just my imagination or did Covid represent a significant turning point in history? So much never seemed to go back to normal afterwards that some things have changed noticably since and become permanent fixtures.

Trying to get an appointment at the doctors for one thing, never seemed to have been such a problem before as it is now. And telephone appointments with or without screen time were none existant before the epidemic. 

I'm sure the emphasis on doing everything online has been pushed relentlessly in a way it never was before, and the use of cash for transactions has diminished markedly. It's now not always a choice as only card payments are accepted in some cases. 

Mental health problems increased markedly in the interim? 

Working from home now the norm? 

Trust in the government to do the right thing, has also hit a new low IMO, with people clamouring for change.

That's just a few things amongst many.

Maybe you can add your own findings and opinions to the list...

Of course it's changed, and in almost every way for the worse.

The only people who have benefitted are those who want to toss it off from home (sorry work from home...), and businesses who realise they can get away with giving even worse service.

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

I think we may be starting to turn a corner with attitudes to wealth disparity.  I hope so anyway.

I blame Thatcher.

Someone has got to pay for the COVID bailout! Since we elected the party that look after their rich friends, they are not paying more taxes.

The static personal allowance means that the lower paid will have their taxes increased the most.

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Until this anodyne comment, I had you down as a reasonable individual.

I am of course!

It wasn’t a very serious comment but still Thatcher turned too many people into a having a selfish, money grubbing outlook and look where it got us.

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I think you may have the wrong idea about what a third world country looks like these days.

Many have major modern centres with skyscrapers, modern shops, and all the modern facilities,  alongside slums and areas of serious deprivation. It's the level of the imbalance between the rich and poor which is is the measure.

Countries such as India and Nigeria for example have many billionaires with enormous wealth as well as people living in terrible poverty. As the rich grow richer and the poor poorer in several western countries they enter this field. 

7 hours ago, pfifes said:

I personally describe it as more like going back to the so called ‘good old days’ of Victorian Britain.  

I blame Thatcher.

Got to have someone to blame in today's society, takes the pressure off not taking responsibility.

• Like 1