An Old School And True Gentleman Of Sheffield Football

10 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

well, I still can't!  If anyone has any suggesstions as to what I can do to see this and similar, I'd be glad to try them!

Hi Mr Thirsty! :wave:

This happens for me too and it's usually for Facebook & Twitter links posted on the forum.

I use Firefox, and a right-click on the posted text and then selecting "Open image in new tab" opens a new tab where you can see the image.

Hope this helps! :)

24 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hi Mr Thirsty! :wave:

This happens for me too and it's usually for Facebook & Twitter links posted on the forum.

I use Firefox, and a right-click on the posted text and then selecting "Open image in new tab" opens a new tab where you can see the image.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks a lot Mr Bloke - I was hoping someone would help, and I was right!  It's always a pleasure to read your posts, and I am delighted to say your suggestion worked, so I was also able to read the letter from one of United's all-time great Managers. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great manager John Harris was, Started at the Lane in the late 1950's and developed a team that gained promotion from the old second division and very soon finished 5th in the top flight. We were denied entrance to the old Inter Cities Fairs Cup - I wonder if that's because we had a 3 sided ground.

A great deal of success came from the defence that almost wrote itself onto the weekly team sheet.

Hodgkinson, Coldwell, G. Shaw, Richardson, J. Shaw, Summers.

Len Allchurch referred to in the letter was a Welsh international right winger.  Up front we had Doc Pace

At the same time John Harris was developing youngsters working closely with head scout Archie Clark.  He knew that we were a club that had little money to use in the transfer market (Not a lot changes). 

When it was time for that defence to hang up its boots he had youngsters ready to come in Badger, B. Shaw, Munks, Mallender, Matthewson, Wagstaff brothers. Alan Woodward replaced Len Allchurch. Mick Jones replaced Pace. 

In the early 1970's he re-invented the team again. Tony Currie was signed for £27.500 as a teenager and he became the catalyst to gaining us promotion in 1971.

John Harris was a gentleman. Well thought of at Chelsea as he was their captain when they won the tiltle in 1955. He was not your stereo-typical football manager with his tie and cardigans but he knew the game inside out. 

When we got promotion in the early 1960's we pipped Liverpool who had just appointed Bill Shankly as manager. The following year Liverpool got promotion and they had a board that backed him. Liverpool's success story was about to begin and still continues today. 

I often think where we could have been with John Harris if we had a board that had the balls to back him in the transfer market in those early years. 

• Like 1