Nottingham Stabbings

Just now, The_DADDY said:

And Fred and Rose West, Harold Shipman etc.

I think they're people who all did appalling things. I don't see how viewing them from the standpoint of a 17th century person who believed in the Devil helps me gain any insight into why they did what they did. 

Just now, Delbow said:

I think they're people who all did appalling things. I don't see how viewing them from the standpoint of a 17th century person who believed in the Devil helps me gain any insight into why they did what they did. 

Who's talking about 17th century and the Devil?

I'm not.

I just think some people are evil. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Too weird for me.

As you were.

Edited by Al Bundy

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

What a stupid question.

It's not stupid at all. The notions of evil and witchcraft both come from the same place - fear of the Devil. People used to genuinely think that the Devil was among them in human form and that if they didn't burn those vessels at the stake then they risked spending an eternity in Hell being tortured - that's why they killed people for witchcraft. Surely it's occurred to you before now that the words evil and Devil are very similar. I think it's odd that you'd be rational enough not to believe in witchcraft but irrational enough to believe in the concept of evil, when both come from the same place.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Expert testimony counts for a lot in court.  Not sure how you know a different city or region  would have acted differently  ?

I am not implying the five experts are wrong about him having serious mental problems.  His mental problems had been diagnosed long before he killed the three people.  I am stating just because he had serious mental problems does not mean he did not know what he was doing at the time of the killings. It should have been up to a jury to decide whether he was guilty or not of murder and not those experts.  How do you know a different city or region with a different prosecution team would have accepted the plea of not guilty of murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility? 

He can't have been off his rocker as he managed to steal and drive a big van through the streets of the city centre aiming it at folk. He knew what he was doing I reckon.

I struggle to get mine started and drive with such accuracy at the best of times.

Edited by Al Bundy

24 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It's not stupid at all. The notions of evil and witchcraft both come from the same place - fear of the Devil. People used to genuinely think that the Devil was among them in human form and that if they didn't burn those vessels at the stake then they risked spending an eternity in Hell being tortured - that's why they killed people for witchcraft. Surely it's occurred to you before now that the words evil and Devil are very similar. I think it's odd that you'd be rational enough not to believe in witchcraft but irrational enough to believe in the concept of evil, when both come from the same place.

So by that standard do you think you have to have a belief in God in order to do something good?  The words God and Good are very similar too.

My bold

Times have changed. 

• Like 1