Tax Cuts Or Services Cut - You Decide.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

This forum gets more laughable every day.

Don't tell me you seriously think that you could take a pot at being PM of the UK on the strength of Bundy inviting you to run.

It does get more laughable yes , wonder why ? ^^^

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Don't tell me you seriously think that you could take a pot at being PM of the UK on the strength of Bundy inviting you to run.

Bundy for Deputy!!!

Just now, Al Bundy said:

Bundy for Deputy!!!

You may as well join the carry on team too as events are getting rather desperate so I'll go along with that.

Maybe you could persuade Axe to throw his hat in the ring too but he'll insist that Boris has to lead  -  where to, I don't know.  Probably some mental health establishment.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

There'll be plenty of seasoned politicians such as Cruella jockeying for the job and I'm not sure they'll invite applications from some odd bod who contributes to a discussion forum.

They're also looking for some presidential material in the states to run for the leadership  -  maybe the money over there would suit you better.

At least the comedians are multiplying and we do need a good laugh. 

I think I made it very clear I have no desire to.

But to answer your point, technically - why not? You do understand that anyone (bar a few specific employment types or bankruptcy restrictions) who is a grown adult could declare to be a candidate, pay their deposit and have a shot of becoming an MP and down the line party leader thus potentially leading to PM.

Edited by ECCOnoob

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

But to answer your point, technically - why not? You do understand that anyone (bar a few specific employment types or bankruptcy restrictions) who is a grown adult could declare to be a candidate, pay their deposit and have a shot of becoming an MP and down the line party leader thus potentially leading to PM.

If Nigel cannot do it, you have zero chance  :)

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not quite that simple.

To stand for a party you have to get past a party selection committee from any number of hopefulls. Your face has to fit. You will probably have done an unpaid apprenticeship as a party helper, stuffing envelopes, posting leaflets, making tea and door knocking etc, and it helps to have friends in high places. You have to tow the party line and support the status quo. Radical new ideas will not be welcome (why we always get more of the same) and be a big fan of the party leader.  

Of course it is possible to stand as an Independent, pay your money, and have almost zero chance of being elected.

There are very few Indepenent MPs in the house of commons. Out of 680+ MPs only a handful  are Independents. Unless you are a well known celebrity with access to the media, or Jeremy Corbyn, will you stand any chance.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

To stand for a party you have to get past a party selection committee from any number of hopefulls. Your face has to fit. You will probably have done an unpaid apprenticeship as a party helper, stuffing envelopes, posting leaflets, making tea and door knocking etc, and it helps to have friends in high places. You have to tow the party line and support the status quo. Radical new ideas will not be welcome (why we always get more of the same) and be a big fan of the party leader.  

Of course it is possible to stand as an Independent, pay your money, and have almost zero chance of being elected.

There are very few Indepenent MPs in the house of commons. Out of 680+ MPs only a handful  are Independents. Unless you are a well known celebrity with access to the media, or Jeremy Corbyn, will you stand any chance.

The big personallity types that have stood in other areas will get sellected first, but both the main parties will have seats where they dont have many committed candidates with deep pockets.

Becoming an MP costs a lot of money, if elected you will get the £90k but if you dont get elected it will have likely cost you £5k for no return!

Even the smaller parties will expect their candidates to pay the £500 deposit. It has been £500 for a long time, it need re-thinking to stop the no-hopers standing.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Not quite that simple.

I never said it was simple. 

I was just pointing out that its technically possible for anyone to potentially become an MP.  

35 minutes ago, El Cid said:

, it need re-thinking to stop the no-hopers standing.

Not very democratic is it.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I never said it was simple. 

I was just pointing out that its technically possible for anyone to potentially become an MP.  

No it isn't.

Frankly, a tick in a box once every 5 years, to then be ignored just doesn't cut it. 

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

For that £500 they get a mailshot delivered to every household in the constituency. Not sure how much that would cost, but it's certainly good value compared to when the £500 deposit scheme was brought in. 

I believe it was brought in to deter such as Screaming Lord Such.