Did Sheffield Council Mislead About The Demolition Of Historic Market Tavern?

Just now, Planner1 said:

You heard that one about omelettes and eggs?

Most people will have choices about which stops they use. If you don’t like those, pick another.

OK, Mr. Clever, I could, please tell me the nearest alternatives. BTW, I know which they are, but I just wonder if you do - they are quite some distance away, and although I can get to them, they are not as convenient, and anyone with mobility issues/heavy baggage would struggle a little.

As a point of interest, as I mentioned above, they were supposed to be 'temporary' - 4 years ago.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK, Mr. Clever, I could, please tell me the nearest alternatives. BTW, I know which they are, but I just wonder if you do - they are quite some distance away, and although I can get to them, they are not as convenient, and anyone with mobility issues/heavy baggage would struggle a little.

As a point of interest, as I mentioned above, they were supposed to be 'temporary' - 4 years ago.

I bet that's the first time anyone's called him Mr Clever! :hihi:

• Haha 1

The visual exterior of (especially) the Old Town Hall, and (to a lesser degree) The Market Tavern are aesthetically worth keeping are they not?

Its a shame that developers that could make use of beautiful historic buildings can't be found.

Thats said, this is Sheffield. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

The visual exterior of (especially) the Old Town Hall, and (to a lesser degree) The Market Tavern are aesthetically worth keeping are they not?

Its a shame that developers that could make use of beautiful historic buildings can't be found.

Thats said, this is Sheffield. 

Yes and the point is whether or not the council have lied , Again .

Edited by hackey lad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Yes and the point is whether or not the council have lied , Again .

Indeed.

I think the link in the O/P is a somewhat misleading in that  it uses the "Now Then" article  which includes this picture from HHBS

Followed by the narrative

On 9 January this year, councillors and council officers met with HHBS and members of the Castlegate Partnership, who are working on regenerating the wider area, to inform them that the building would be torn down the following day.

At this meeting, members of HHBS asked for a delay in demolition work to give them time to find external help to save the building. Council officers then agreed not to start demolition work until at least midday on 10 January.

It could certainly give the impression that the pic is just prior to collapse / demolition.

The pic actually dates from at least 2021.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/5014-the-old-market-tavern-exchange-st-sheffield/#comment-155453

A better reflection of the state of the building pre collapse / demolition can be found in this Yorkshire Live article dated Dec 2023 where the buiding looks somewhat precarious.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/inside-peeling-unsafe-legendary-sheffield-28332336

Edited by Longcol

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I said “most people” to account for the minority who might find the longer distance an issue.

When you make changes, generally someone loses out. You can never please everyone.

Yes, you’ve mentioned the temporary locations plenty of times. Do you, or anyone else on here know why the stops haven’t been moved to the permanent locations yet? Or even where the permanent locations are?

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I said “most people” to account for the minority who might find the longer distance an issue.

When you make changes, generally someone loses out. You can never please everyone.

Yes, you’ve mentioned the temporary locations plenty of times. Do you, or anyone else on here know why the stops haven’t been moved to the permanent locations yet? Or even where the permanent locations are?

Do tell us why they are still temporary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Anyone on here ever have a drink in there ?  I have .

Yes. 1970's / 80's.  I remember it being a Berni Inn and then sold on to Mecca Leisure / Grand Metropolitan when it then became The Market Tavern.  

7 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I said “most people” to account for the minority who might find the longer distance an issue. (1)

When you make changes, generally someone loses out. You can never please everyone. (2)

Yes, you’ve mentioned the temporary locations plenty of times. Do you, or anyone else on here know why the stops haven’t been moved to the permanent locations yet? Or even where the permanent locations are? (3)

(1)Knowing the distances involved, I suspect that 'minority' may be bigger than you think - but unlike certain people I am prepared to be proved wrong.

(2)Quite a few lose out, but it appears SCC/SYCMA just please themselves - again!

(3) No I don't, but 4 years is not something I would call temporary - more in the area of 'long-term'.

• Like 1