I was born in the war , Food was rationed, We subsidised our rations by growing veg and fruit in the garden or allotment,

We bred rabbits to eat meat ,  When we attended school we walked some times for miles , men and women walked or cycled to work .

At our school no one was fat , We were all as thin as rails , This continued in the days we started work , walking or cycling as before.

As stated it was rare to see a fat person .

Now the opposite is the norm,  People in Towns looking  to have difficulty even walking to the shops due to being  fat .

So what has gone wrong , is it wrong was it us lot who had nowt who were to thin ., us lot who would eat oven meals , meat and potato pie, Yorkshire pudding, Rice in a cracked pot done in the oven or even bread and dripping.

The health service say they are in crisis due to the obesity on display , they have stated that they are seeing serious diseases multiply due to the problem . The School roads are full off parked cars picking up children .   The Greggs and take always cannot serve the waiting customers fast enough .

• Like 2

I was born in 1955.    As children we were always outside playing physical games, running about, chasing each other, football, skipping, on our bikes or roller skates etc.    Crisps, pop and sweets were treats.    Nowadays it's rare to see children playing outside with other children, the majority are indoors on their phones and laptops.   

• Like 4

Have large supermarkets anything to do with it?

Huge trolleys, tempting deli food,  pastries,  cakes,  bacon,  pies,  sausages etc.   then the alcohol.

When there were corner shops it was what you could carry home,  now even markets can be costly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cressida said:

Have large supermarkets anything to do with it?

Huge trolleys, tempting deli food,  pastries,  cakes,  bacon,  pies,  sausages etc.   then the alcohol.

When there were corner shops it was what you could carry home,  now even markets can be costly.

Good point.  They organise supermarkets to tempt folk into buying items, unfortunately some are unable to resist such temptation.

20 minutes ago, prince al said:

Fat lazy sods laid out on settees all day in their pjs, scoffing biscuits and chocolate.

And on smart phones,i pads etc on Sheffield Forum.

Get that gardening done😄

• Haha 1

Well I was born in 1947 and recall a fair amount of ‘fat’ folk. However if you didn’t have a good cook in the house you had little choice but to eat stuff that you never hear of these days. Breakfast was the full English version, fried in lard, potatoes dominated other meals, no pasta in those days, a snack was probably bread and dripping.

On the exercise question we walked or cycled everywhere, mainly due to the lack of car ownership, and played a lot of sport, no computers to sit and play with for us. Fish and chips were a once a week treat, sandwiches were what working folk took with them for lunch, folk walked to and from the pub and weren’t bombarded with food, a packet of crisps was the nearest thing to pub food in those days.

I’m six foot one and weigh fifteen stones which is half a stone too much, but I don’t class myself as being ‘fat’.

Its the same with profiles on dating sites.

1. Cuddly.............................Fat

2. Bubbly.............................Fat

3. Curvy...............................Fat

4. Likes Eating Out......... Fat and Greedy.

5. Likes Nights In..............Fat and Lazy

Thing is, being a lard asre these days is acceptable.  We probably had one fat kid in our school back in the 70,s, so I agree its todays society that has created these modern day Frankensteins. Saying that, theres some remarkable Tiktoks available showing how both men and women have lost weight dramatically through healthy habits. I dont particularly think theres anything attractive about someone who has rolls of lard spewing out of their clothing. That may sound harsh, but im being honest. If I see an attractive female, I obviously think to myself 'ooh, she's nice"..... but if I see a big fat lass, the first thing I think to myself is "I bet she can fart".