Has Hamas/Israel Started A Very Serious Conflict?

34 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

That's very sad and I hope they get aid very soon. However I stand by my statement,  I don't believe Either side really want a 2 state solution. They are sworn enemies and hate each other with a passion. 

My bold: There is no other solution to go for and the situation cannot be left as it is.  That has already happened for over 70 years and is the cause of the problems we see today. 

It has to be a 2 state solution but it has to be enforced so that neither side can steal the others land and so that both sides can live in safety and peace.

If this had been enforced before,  we would not have the situation  as it stands now.

29 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Here you go, this makes interesting reading. N.B. Don't make the mistake of thinking I support Hamas; I don't.
All the Times Israel Has Rejected Peace With Palestinians
Israel prefers endless conflict to a Palestinian state.

However, there have long been clear signs that factions within Hamas were moderating and open to long-term agreements with Israel.

In 1997, Khaled Mashal, then the top Hamas leader, offered a 30-year ceasefire to Israel. Israel did not respond — but did immediately try to assassinate Mashal in Jordan.

In 2004, Sheik Ahmed Yassin, Hamas’s chief religious leader, called for a 10-year truce with Israel if it returned to its pre-1967 borders. Israel assassinated him two months later.

In 2012, according to an Israeli peace activist, the head of Hamas’s military wing had become convinced that Palestinians should negotiate a long-term truce with Israel.

On the same day Ahmed Jabari, Hamas’s military chief, was reviewing a draft proposal for such a truce, Israel assassinated him.

Hmmmm, a very interesting read. It's very one sided but thats not to say it isn't all true. Definitely something I'll be re-reading tomorrow as I'm quite tired at the moment. Thank you for posting it 👍

47 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Hmmmm, a very interesting read. It's very one sided but thats not to say it isn't all true. Definitely something I'll be re-reading tomorrow as I'm quite tired at the moment. Thank you for posting it 👍

There will of course be lots of different interpretations based on the same historical record; it really does make it difficult for the outsider to understand who to believe.
One thing for sure though, we do not get the full picture reported in this country.
To that end, this article is also worth reading.

For years, Netanyahu propped up Hamas. Now it’s blown up in our faces Times of Israel 
The premier’s policy of treating the terror group as a partner, at the expense of Abbas and Palestinian statehood, has resulted in wounds that will take Israel years to heal from

For years, the various governments led by Benjamin Netanyahu took an approach that divided power between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank — bringing Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to his knees while making moves that propped up the Hamas terror group.

The idea was to prevent Abbas — or anyone else in the Palestinian Authority’s West Bank government — from advancing toward the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Thus, amid this bid to impair Abbas, Hamas was upgraded from a mere terror group to an organization with which Israel held indirect negotiations via Egypt, and one that was allowed to receive infusions of cash from abroad.

See Also
Why Netanyahu Bolstered Hamas The Nation

The Israeli prime minister followed a decades-old divide-and-rule strategy that fuels endless war.

Wars help hide political scandals. The ongoing Israeli assault on Gaza has been singularly useful to prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in sidelining popular anger at his government’s numerous failings.

The massive protests against Netanyahu’s authoritarian attempts to weaken the courts dwindled after Hamas October 7 attack, although there are signs they are resuming force.

The intelligence failures that allowed the October 7 attack to take place have received some press attention—but have yet to be the focus of sustained political ire.

The same is true of Netanyahu’s longstanding policy of bolstering Hamas rule in Gaza, including encouraging Israel’s de facto ally Qatar to finance the terrorist organization. While the much-respected Israeli newspaper Haaretz has covered this issue, it has been largely ignored by the international press.

56 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

To follow on from my previous post, a chap I've been reading on Twitter

Ahmed Fouad Alkhatib @afalkhatib
Describes himself as; Proud American from Gaza City; pro-Palestine, anti-Hamas & violence; pro-peace & coexistence; lost 31 family members in the Gaza war; Pragmatic realist
Peace of the Brave?
When I was 11 years old in Gaza, I remember a particularly deadly Hamas suicide bombing in Israel in 2001. Soon after, a news conference was held by Yasser Arafat in which he called for de-escalation and asked Hamas to stop undermining the Palestinian Authority through its violence against Israelis. He ended his conference calling for a mutual ceasefire and renewing his commitment to bolster the “peace of the brave,” a phrase that grew in prominence during the 1990s at the height of the Oslo Peace process. This phrase (سلام الشُجعان) was always mocked by anti-peace Palestinian factions and their mouthpieces. Hamas, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and a few small militant groups would instead refer to it as the peace of the cowardly, the treacherous and the weak. There was so much anti-Arafat propaganda which specifically condemned him for believing that peace with Israel was courageous, saying instead that armed resistance was the only possible courageous act for the Palestinian national movement. I remember wondering about who was right: was peace indeed cowardly or was it actually courageous and brave? Unfortunately, Hamas created so much confusion, uncertainty and doubt among Palestinians about peace, making the word itself sound radioactive, toxic, unsavory and inherently treasonous.

As time went on, and I learned so much more about history, the peace process, Hamas, conflict resolution, and even some Muslim teachings and scholarly interpretations, I realized that for all of his faults and shortcomings, Arafat was absolutely right. Peace does require brave courage to wage, promote, adopt, embrace and act upon. It is so much easier to be consumed by hate, incitement, violence and vengeance. Tribalism, entrenched narratives, lack of pragmatism and blind rage cause many nations and societies to walk away from peace and perpetuate a vicious cycle of violence and enmity. Again and for all his faults and horrendous leadership mistakes during the 1970s and 1980s, Arafat made an incredibly courageous decision to renounce violence and recognize Israel and its right to exist — he would still go on to make detrimental and disastrous mistakes after this brave decision. Nevertheless, he set a precedent within the Palestinian national movement to acknowledge that there will be no full liberation of Palestine from the river to the sea and that recognizing Israel and working with the Jewish State is necessary and inevitable for peace and the well-being of the Palestinian people.

Brave and courageous Palestinians and Israelis must wage peace and find the slightest of common ground to give their people a chance at a better future. This will start with engagement, dialogue, conversations, and discussions. Yes, the disagreements are vast, and emotions are running high; yet I truly believe that cross-aisle gestures of goodwill based upon mutual respect, acknowledging our common humanity, and embracing that neither side is going anywhere can help break the entrenched narratives and start the slow healing journey. Peace requires courage to challenge dominant narratives and withstand reactionary accusations of disloyalty or treason. 

And yes, political decisions are ultimately what will bring about a transformation of conditions on the ground. However, that will be useless if people-to-people connections are not made. Governments make political agreements, but people make true and lasting peace. My own suffering and hardships, the death of so many family members, and the continued horror that my folks in Gaza are experiencing is precisely what motivates me to seek a different path forward. I’ve talked to former Israel hostages released by Hamas and to families of hostages who have an incredible capacity for compassion, and also want to use their suffering/awful experiences to push for a different reality. Inshallah in our lifetime, and with some courageous individual acts and steps, we will have true and lasting peace of the brave.

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

According to the news , Joe Biden says He hopes to have a cease fire in Gaza early march . What has He done ?

When Uncle Sam stops funding Israel, that's when you might get Nutenyahu and his genocide govmnt to listen.

Otherwise,  I don't think he cares about what anyone else says,be it the UK, Monarchy or UN.

59 minutes ago, Baz1 said:

When Uncle Sam stops funding Israel, that's when you might get Nutenyahu and his genocide govmnt to listen.

Otherwise,  I don't think he cares about what anyone else says,be it the UK, Monarchy or UN.

I agree.  That's definitely the only way to control Israel and Biden wouldn't  have carried on as long as this without our support.

Especially when Netanyahu's been making a laughing stock of Biden for so long and we and USA are risking getting involved in further wars in the middle east.

We need  a lot less wars  -  not a lot more.

33 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Just when you thought the terrorist IDF couldnt stoop any lower, they have reached a new low..

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/29/dozens-killed-injured-by-israeli-fire-in-gaza-while-collecting-food-aid

One of the 1st comments on X

"This is THE lie. Shame on you.“Not one of these people have a single bullet wound. These civilians attacked the aid convoy in the thousands and the trucks rode over them as well as many trampled over each other. How do we know this? Because there is a video showing it happen.”

No link to the video though so who knows what the truth is?

All I'll say is whoever is telling the truth, the fact remains this needs to stop now!

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

One of the 1st comments on X

"This is THE lie. Shame on you.“Not one of these people have a single bullet wound. These civilians attacked the aid convoy in the thousands and the trucks rode over them as well as many trampled over each other. How do we know this? Because there is a video showing it happen.”

No link to the video though so who knows what the truth is?

All I'll say is whoever is telling the truth, the fact remains this needs to stop now!

That is what you can expect to happen when large numbers of people are dying of starvation besides being bombed and shelled.

The aid should be properly distributed by the proper aid people daily so the people are not so desperate.

The women and children could be moved to a proper safe place anyway and be fed normally there.

It certainly needs to stop but Netanyahu hasn't killed enough of them yet so it won't.