Work Begins To Transform Old Castle Site Into Greenspace

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Such as . 

Grey to Green

Pounds Park

Heart of the City II

To name just three around the city centre off the top of my head.

It really isn't so binary as to be 'everything good/everything bad' and I'm happy to hold the Council to account when they do things wrong (and have done in the past!), but I do think credit should be given and the positives celebrated when the opportunity arises to balance things up.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ads36 said:

...the Castle Park project ?

(and Heart of the City, Pounds Park, Grey to Green, Fargate, West Bar, etc)

But they have destroyed Sheffields most historical trading and meeting area ,  The one they now are going to plant flowers  on ,

1 minute ago, cuttsie said:

But they have destroyed Sheffields most historical trading and meeting area ,  The one they now are going to plant flowers  on ,

From memory:

The first market place in Sheffield was where Castle Square now stands. The original market cross stood at the top of Angel Street (infact the area outside the Bankers Draft and round to where Argos was is still called 'Market Place', denoted by street signs on the walls.

It moved into the halls off Commercial Street from there, then eventually the Castle Market site (remember there were several markets too - Castle, Sheaf, Rag & Tag, etc).

Markets have historically moved, so there was always precedent there.

There's a good argument to be had that the Castle site should be held over to parkland/meeting space and that part of Sheffield's history celebrated much more (and more appropriately that just being a 'market')!

• Like 1

The first known meeting and trading place was at the spot where the Don and Sheaf rivers converged .

It is where farmers from out laying areas  met to trade animals and other goods ,

It was later called A MARKET .

Cities World wide are proud of their market areas it is where visitors head for .

Ours the one that proper Sheffielders loved and met in ,!!!!!!!has been destroyed so as a pile of rubble can be gazed at by millions of tourists ,      Can not wait to see the coaches lining up out side the Bull and mouth .

Edited by cuttsie

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The first known meeting and trading place was at the spot where the Don and Sheaf rivers converged .

It is where farmers from out laying areas  met to trade animals and other goods ,

It was later called A MARKET .

There was a small 'market' within the garrison of the castle which served just a tiny population at that time and only townspeople. To my knowledge (happy to be corrected) the first properly chartered market, complete with market cross, was at Market Place (Castle Square) - this was largely a farmers market.

There were other markets, such as at Snig Hill and off West Street at different times, as well as the 'main' market moving to the halls off Commercial street and later Castle Market, etc.

My point is - the markets have moved lots over the years, and there have been many markets, many (most) of which aren't remembered or celebrated. Just like the Castle wasn't. The new park there will help to do that, and it will still be a 'meeting place' whilst the main markets still exist elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deejayone said:

There was a small 'market' within the garrison of the castle which served just a tiny population at that time and only townspeople. To my knowledge (happy to be corrected) the first properly chartered market, complete with market cross, was at Market Place (Castle Square) - this was largely a farmers market.

There were other markets, such as at Snig Hill and off West Street at different times, as well as the 'main' market moving to the halls off Commercial street and later Castle Market, etc.

My point is - the markets have moved lots over the years, and there have been many markets, many (most) of which aren't remembered or celebrated. Just like the Castle wasn't. The new park there will help to do that, and it will still be a 'meeting place' whilst the main markets still exist elsewhere.

You are new round these parts aren't you? 

There is no point arguing with him on the subject. He has taken the old Market being knocked down as a personal insult, he once said on here that all it really needed were some new gents toilets and "a fresh lick of paint". 

• Like 2

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

There is no point arguing with him on the subject. He has taken the old Market being knocked down as a personal insult, he once said on here that all it really needed were some new gents toilets and "a fresh lick of paint". 

Don't think so - check registration date.

Agree about cuttsie, though. 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deejayone said:

Off course it was a tiny population ,it was the very start of what became to be known as Sheaf Field . Later know as Sheffield .

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

And it did .As to the person being new around here .I do not know if this is true . But I am enjoying my debate with same , without the personal insulting  comments that the likes of you always disrupt the subjects on this forum .