Morons On Roundabouts

Tinsley  roundabout which I used to use daily was always a case for many drivers to chop and change lanes as they found gaps.

Brook Hill roundabout is beset by nervous and frustrated drivers who go for gaps that don’t exist after becoming impatient.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

One other thing, you should never overtake any vehicle on the inside on a roundabout because that vehicle WILL be turning left at some point, that is an absolute certainty......

And they should look to their left to make sure no vehicle is there that they will collide with when exiting the roundabout.

echo.

• Like 1

Another annoyance is drivers on motorways never indicating when they exit or only do so at the last minute as they enter the slip road.

There are preceding markers to an exit at 300, 200 and 100 metres. You should indicate at 300m when the first one is seen!!!

And be in the near side lane at that point, not leaving it until the last minute to cut across other vehicles.

echo

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Tinsley  roundabout which I used to use daily was always a case for many drivers to chop and change lanes as they found gaps.

Brook Hill roundabout is beset by nervous and frustrated drivers who go for gaps that don’t exist after becoming impatient.

One thing that gets me about the Brookhill roundabout is some vehicles coming up Netherthorpe Rd turn right by staying in the left hand / outside lane all the way around. So, when you're coming out of Upper Hanover St you see a vehicle apparently going straight on (in the outside lane) down Upper Hanover St, but it then sweeps right round outside (out of your peripheral vison which is focussed more to the left looking for a gap) and appears just as you are about to pull out, or even have pulled out.

BTW, is that a legitimate route round that roundabout ? 

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

One thing that gets me about the Brookhill roundabout is some vehicles coming up Netherthorpe Rd turn right by staying in the left hand / outside lane all the way around. So, when you're coming out of Upper Hanover St you see a vehicle apparently going straight on (in the outside lane) down Upper Hanover St, but it then sweeps right round outside (out of your peripheral vison which is focussed more to the left looking for a gap) and appears just as you are about to pull out, or even have pulled out.

In a word, no.

echo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, echo beach said:

In a word, no.

echo.

Another roundabout where that same thing happens is the interchange of the A1M and the M18.

Travelling south on the A1M and exiting to go right towards Sheffield the slip road widens from 2 lanes to 3 at its entry to the roundabout. LH lane marked left, fine. Other 2 lanes marked straight ahead and no markings for turning right. So I always go in the RH Lane and hug the roundabout but many others use the other, outside lane to go right.

Traffic engineers, I sometimes wonder what planet they come from!😀

echo.

32 minutes ago, echo beach said:

>>Chekhov said:
One thing that gets me about the Brookhill roundabout is some vehicles coming up Netherthorpe Rd turn right by staying in the left hand / outside lane all the way around. So, when you're coming out of Upper Hanover St you see a vehicle apparently going straight on (in the outside lane) down Upper Hanover St, but it then sweeps right round outside (out of your peripheral vison which is focussed more to the left looking for a gap) and appears just as you are about to pull out, or even have pulled out.

BTW, is that a legitimate route round that roundabout ? <<

In a word, no.

echo.

I have been having a look on Google at that roundabout, and it appears it is not legitimate to go all the way around in the left hand lane. But it is legitimate to enter the roundabout (from Netherthorpe Rd) in the middle lane then swap to the outside lane as it swings round past Upper Hanover St.

I suppose it is natural to assume that if a vehicle is in the middle lane there it will go straight on, particularly if one knows it has come up Netherthorpe Rd.

Whatever, watch for it right turners in the outside lane on Netherthorpe Rd !

55 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And once again failing to have RH indicators on to at least give you a clue that they are heading up Weston Bank way.

• Like 1