New Lottery Operator Resulting In Small Businesses No Longer Selling Tickets

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

I was quite happy to buy one ticket a week but when the two draws a week began it meant I had to buy both or risk my numbers coming up on the alternative day.

I presume that's why they started the 2 draws per week.

31 minutes ago, cressida said:

I was quite happy to buy one ticket a week but when the two draws a week began it meant I had to buy both or risk my numbers coming up on the alternative day.

I stopped when they added more numbers which made it even less likely to win the jackpot. 

• Like 2

I don't gamble on anything regurlarly. If I spend £5 a year, I've gone a bit OTT. 

When I see odds of millions to one, I tend not to bother.

3 hours ago, cressida said:

That's exactly what they want. People that have the same numbers every time. For the reason you mention, it can become an expensive debt. It started at 1 draw for £1, then two draws at £2 each, then the Euro thing at £2. £312 a year for one line on each. Most people have more than one line. There's probably a lot more to buy. I don't look, so I don't really know.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 13:07, Axe said:

Under the new arrangement the scratch cards are only valid for a set period of time and the shop does not have the option to return unsold scratch cards.  Under the contract shops have to sell scratch cards as well as lottery tickets.  That makes it not viable for a small business to sell lottery tickets.  They did not earn much revenue anyway from the sale of lottery tickets but more than likely a lottery ticket customer would buy something else while they were in the shop. 

When I was selling lottery tickets under Camelot back in 2016 scratch card packs that were opened but unsold by the time they were discontinued could not be returned and we the shop owners had to take the hit. I had a 12 game dispenser and one day I was lumbered with about £1800 worth of scratch cards so after scratching them all off I got back about £1000 so was out of pocket by about £800. 
Retailers make a 2% commission on ticket sales but if someone pays by card then that commission is wiped out by card fees. 
It was something you had to have in your shop to attract extra custom but the earnings from it were not worth the hassle….

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mafya said:

When I was selling lottery tickets under Camelot back in 2016 scratch card packs that were opened but unsold by the time they were discontinued could not be returned and we the shop owners had to take the hit. I had a 12 game dispenser and one day I was lumbered with about £1800 worth of scratch cards so after scratching them all off I got back about £1000 so was out of pocket by about £800. 
Retailers make a 2% commission on ticket sales but if someone pays by card then that commission is wiped out by card fees. 
It was something you had to have in your shop to attract extra custom but the earnings from it were not worth the hassle….

Our family business had the lottery terminal from 2002 to 2018 and the earnings from scratchcards was 6%, not 2%. Also any unsold cards could be returned for a full refund. I dont know who you were dealing with, but they were robbing you blind!! 

3 hours ago, Cyclunt said:

Our family business had the lottery terminal from 2002 to 2018 and the earnings from scratchcards was 6%, not 2%. Also any unsold cards could be returned for a full refund. I dont know who you were dealing with, but they were robbing you blind!! 

Sorry my mistake it was 2% on ticket sales and more like you say on scratch cards but any  packs opened and activated by myself that were unsold when the game ended could not be returned but unopened inactivated ones could.