Killers Of Brianna Ghey

1 hour ago, Axe said:

We do not know whether they were advised to plead not guilty by their legal representatives It is scandalous that their legal time charged that amount of money.  Legal fees are a massive burden for the taxpayer.  

I’m pretty sure 99% of Joe Public read about cases like this and say good grief poor kid what’s this world coming to ? Some lawyer somewhere at the same time would be,rubbing hands together going that’s my holidays and Christmas bonus sorted for this year.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

We do not know whether they were advised to plead not guilty by their legal representatives It is scandalous that their legal time charged that amount of money.  Legal fees are a massive burden for the taxpayer.  

Why is it?

Just how much do you expect qualified professional lawyers and barristers to be paid to handle two defendants in a high stakes crown court level trial which lasted nearly a month.

They will have already been working at much reduced sums well below their usual rack hourly rate.  Is partly why criminal lawyers are leaving sector in droves.

Whether people like it or not, everyone in a  criminal trial is entitled to representation. This one of the few areas where Legal Aid is still available if they are assessed as having insufficient means to pay themselves. 

Stop falling for the attention seeking Daily Mail headlines. £200k charges is peanuts for the amount of work, correspondence, reviewing, preparation, researching and advocacy those lawyers will have done for two separate defendants in such a high level and lengthy trial. 

I'm sure there would be plenty on here ready to cut taxpayer legal aid out criminal proceedings but think carefully where we would be then.  

Do we want to see that happen to someone potentially wrongly accused of murder. Only those rich enough can get represented....

10 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I’m pretty sure 99% of Joe Public read about cases like this and say good grief poor kid what’s this world coming to ? Some lawyer somewhere at the same time would be,rubbing hands together going that’s my holidays and Christmas bonus sorted for this year.

Oh really. Maybe go have a look at what most criminal legal representatives actually get paid and their rates. Maybe study the background to the recent strikes and significant declines in the criminal justice sector

There are very little 'rubbing their hands'.

• Like 2