Killers Of Brianna Ghey

25 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

According to the BBC, Barnsley Local Authority’s  got the highest school exclusion rate in the country. Presumably correlation between being poor and low educational achievement. Voting Brexit then doesn’t seem to have improved things. 

????

2 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

I heard on news she also tried to poison Brianna even documented it in a diary.

Yes she did. I think it was a mark of Brianna's vulnerability that she still tried to be friends afterwards.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Well quite, however do you think focussing on the race of the perpetrators in this instance could help deal with the reasons and help experts tackle the problem?

Knife crime in London....

Despite making up only 13% of London's total population, black Londoners account for 45% of London's knife murder victims, 61% of knife murder perpetrators and 53% of knife crime perpetrators.

Well, if you only concentrate on knife crime committed by black Londoners, you’ll miss half of the crimes.

Maybe if you looked at all young men from less affluent backgrounds, you’d have a better hit rate.

I don’t disagree that understanding that knife crime is disproportionately carried out by young black men, but I’m not convinced that skin colour has much to do with it.

4 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Well, if you only concentrate on knife crime committed by black Londoners, you’ll miss half of the crimes.

Maybe if you looked at all young men from less affluent backgrounds, you’d have a better hit rate.

I don’t disagree that understanding that knife crime is disproportionately carried out by young black men, but I’m not convinced that skin colour has much to do with it.

What in your opinion is the reason?

Mine is I think it's to do with gangs, drill music glorifying killing others and drugs.

11 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

What in your opinion is the reason?

Mine is I think it's to do with gangs, drill music glorifying killing others and drugs.

Thats all true. But you also have to ask why some young men end up in such a culture. 

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Who knows?

Weak parenting?

Lack of a suitable male role model?

All those.

Plus fear. Lack of prospects. Promise of easy money. Influence from music/films/peers.

Its a really complicated mix and just focussing on race doesn’t really help to understand things. That isn’t to say that race isn’t one of the factors, by the way. Just that it isn’t the only one and is probably not the most important one.

16 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Thats all true. But you also have to ask why some young men end up in such a culture. 

Lack of parenting and a desire to have nice things without putting in any hard work would be my guess.