The Duke Of Darnall.

I might have found a death date for Harry Taylor using the FreeBMD site . A Harry Taylor died in March 1959 aged 71 years at Sheffield.  If this is the right person then Harry was born in 1888 would make him 26  in 1914 by the time he was interviewed by ' Daily Mirror' he would be 51.  With Harry been deaf that could either born like that or injured in World War One.  If no one can recall him been alive in the 1960s then this entry fits. Again this only a guess without knowing his birth year for certain can not say it is him.

24 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

I might have found a death date for Harry Taylor using the FreeBMD site . A Harry Taylor died in March 1959 aged 71 years at Sheffield.  If this is the right person then Harry was born in 1888 would make him 26  in 1914 by the time he was interviewed by ' Daily Mirror' he would be 51.  With Harry been deaf that could either born like that or injured in World War One.  If no one can recall him been alive in the 1960s then this entry fits. Again this only a guess without knowing his birth year for certain can not say it is him.

Was hoping to edit this but can't. The death entry should be June 1960 not March 1959 year of birth would be 1889 not 1888. In 1914 Harry would be 24/25, in 1939 50 years old. 

Now 

1 hour ago, TedW said:

Harry Taylor (born 16th December 1880) was a core maker on public assistance in 1939, living at 293 Darnall Road, with Minnie Antcliffe (nee Taylor) his sister

1416905729_DukeofDarnall1939.thumb.png.7aa9aab8902ba5f96eb58dc14b78822e.png

Thanks for information now having a date of birth I can put more into the search engine on the BMD site.  Found an entry that matches Harry's birth year. Harry Taylor March 1959 aged 79 Sheffield  vol 2 page 166.  

I can remember seeing him when I was going to school in the 1950s  at whitby Road juniors, he was trying to persuade the lollipop man to have a go on the crossing by offering him his pocket watch !. He always appeared to be smartly dressed , I think kids were wary of him mainly because he dressed differently from their own parents and grandparents.  There was another darnall character I think people called him Joe Bug does anyone recollect him he always dressed in old tattered clothes and was dark bearded the only place I saw him was on Darnall Main Road heading into darnall